The Assistant Director for Events oversees high-profile special
event planning and execution for FGCU.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Oversees the development of event concepts, themes, and formats
for major University events.
- Oversees the planning and implementation of high profile
special events including content development, venue selection, RSVP
management, volunteer coordination, and event-day logistics.
- Manages a small team of special event coordinators and
specialists, and works within a larger team managing the
- Obtains bids, prepares contracts, and initiates payment
processes for all special event equipment and services.
- Accountable for budget of assigned program area; may require
- Develops, maintains and oversees tracking and communication
systems to ensure smooth delivery of multiple events with multiple
- Cultivates relationships with appropriate vendors, event
sponsors, and consultants to assist in implementing events.
Additional Job Description
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an
- Six years of professional full-time experience with event
planning, project management, or other relevant experience.
- Experience with budget development and management.
- Experience in managing employees and volunteers.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher and
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management.
Required Materials: Cover Letter and Resume
Salary: $54,300 to negotiable
- Knowledge of budget development, control principles, practices,
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
and complete simultaneous projects.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and implement
large-scale and high profile events.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations
with a diverse group of university leadership, colleagues, vendors,
volunteers, partners, and the public.
- Ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinate and
perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse
demands are involved.
- Ability to anticipate and diffuse problems before they
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high
standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best
practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing
information, guidance, and motivation.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and
- Ability to view the whole picture while remaining attentive to
- Ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.