University of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which
encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women,
Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice
of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Academic Administration, Full Time
Pay Grade: 31E
Context of the Job:
The Assistant Dean of Students, Student Advocacy and Case
Management, Graduate Students
collaborates with the staff in
the Graduate College and Division of Student Life to provide
leadership for University initiatives and support services that
enhance the graduate student experience and promote the personal
development and academic success of the graduate students at the
University of Delaware.
Under the general direction of the Associate Dean of Students, the
Assistant Dean of Students implements the administrative processes
in the Office of the Dean of Students that respond to the needs of
students encountering personal or academic challenges. The
Assistant Dean of Students collaborates with other offices to
develop programs that enhance the quality of student life, promote
all facets of well-being, and respond to student concerns. The
Assistant Dean of Students is expected to be available to staff and
students outside regular business hours, for evening and weekend
events, or other critical times.
- Maintain strong working relationships and collaborations
between the Office of the Dean of Students, the Graduate College,
Graduate Student Government, Graduate Student Organizations, the
Division of Student Life and graduate students.
- Maintain current knowledge of graduate student needs, student
development and student learning research, theory and practice that
best serve the needs of students.
- Advise faculty, staff, students, and families in complex
problem solving and complaint resolution. Consult and engage in
problem solving on complex matters with the Graduate College,
Office of Equity and Inclusion, Office of Student Conduct, , Center
for Counseling and Student Development, University of Delaware
Police Department, Student Health Services, and Disability Support
- Manage the graduate student emergency loan program.
- Support and advocate for students) who are experiencing crises.
Intervene directly in sensitive cases involving critical illness or
injury, mental illness, and fatalities and coordinate response as
needed. Contribute to the case management process of the office by
meeting with students on sensitive and private issues and provide
guidance and support to students and families during times of
- Implement the administrative activities associated with the
Office of the Dean of Students and the Graduate College..
- Advise the Office of the Dean of Student staff in best
practices related to graduate students that have an impact on case
management practices and policies.
- Contribute to the development of proactive training
opportunities for graduate students to enhance problem-solving
- Collaborate with the Graduate College on Graduate Student
- Represent the Office of the Dean of Students at campus-wide
- Recommend and participate in the development of University
policies and procedures.
- Serve as an advisor for the Office of Student Conduct.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative
- Master's degree in higher education, student personnel,
counseling services or other related field and four years of
full-time professional experience working with college
- A record of accomplishment as a student advocate and a champion
for student success.
- Experience working with graduate students and knowledgeable of
the needs of graduate students.
- Commitment to and knowledge of multicultural, diversity, and
- Experience with strategizing, planning and delivering
- Familiarity with college student learning and development
- Knowledge of student support programs and services.
- Experience with outreach initiatives and program
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
in a diverse community
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart
information to a range of clientele and/or media sources.
- Effective interpersonal and community relations skills.
- Ability to build positive and effective relationships with
colleagues and student leaders across the university.
- Skill to manage crises and knowledge of and experience using
crisis intervention techniques.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency
- Ability to take initiative for projects and development of
- Independent judgment to plan, prioritize and organize a
diversified workload with attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate and work successfully in a team
- Experience with planning, implementing and assessment of
- Experience with case management software, student information
system software such as Maxient, PeopleSoft and general
computer-based literacy preferred.
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person
on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity
or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital
status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment,
educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and
scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the
Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act
of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII
of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and
University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits
unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual
Aug 15 2022 Eastern Daylight Time