Design is a key cultural and social engine to propel economic growth from the present to the future. The curriculum of the Faculty of Design at LASALLE is focused on the needs of tomorrow with a special interest in training designers as provocateurs, disruptors, strategists, authors, critics, editors and thinkers of new and complex open-ended challenges.
We are seeking to appoint a Programme Leader for the MA Design programme.
MA Design is a research-led practice programme that challenges current conventions of thinking, making and communicating. The programme develops design research and practice capabilities through critical analysis, collaborative engagement and interdisciplinary practices. Fielding design and artistic experts, the programme provides an independent learning environment for postgraduate students who want to break out of the mould of contemporary design thinking.
The successful candidate should be a highly influential and dynamic individual seeking to attract, lead and inspire a new generation of designers. You will bring a strong interest in shaping the future of design education through fields such as creative sustainability, digital technologies, social innovation, creative and cultural enterprises and future identities, and contribute to the growth of scholarship in design.
The ideal candidate should have experience in teaching and supervision at the tertiary level as the programme leader is responsible for the academic leadership and management of the programme. You will teach and supervise design research theses at both post and undergraduate levels.
Reporting to the Dean of Design and the Head of School of Design Communication, your key responsibilities include the organisation, planning and delivery of the programme. As a programme leader, you will set the tone and strategic direction of the programme to meet high standards of excellence.
In addition, you will be highly encouraged to contribute to the research culture at LASALLE.
- PhD in design or a relevant field.
- Substantial publications and written experience in a professional context.
- At least 10 years of related professional practice and teaching experience in design education at tertiary level, and at least 4 years or the equivalent in course or programme management and the supervision and development of teaching staff.
- Substantial knowledge and extensive experience of the academic framework of higher education in arts institutions.
- Experience in supervising students theses at MA level is an added bonus.
- Good analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to engage students through a range of delivery modes.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and collaborate at all levels.
- A positive attitude to research and able to mentor emerging researchers.
Please submit your letter of interest, current curriculum vitae and any relevant supporting materials, indicating current and expected salary, by email to: email@example.com or in writing (stating clearly the position applied for on the envelope) to:
Director & Chief Human Resource Officer
Division of Human Resources & Organisation Development
LASALLE College of the Arts
1 McNally Street
Closing date is 31 July 2022 or until the position is filled.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.