LASALLE College of the Arts seeks an experienced, energetic, forward-thinking artist-educator to serve as the new Head of the McNally School of Fine Arts during a pivotal moment in the College’s transition to University status. This is a highly visible, key position within the institution, leading one of its cornerstone schools named after LASALLE’s founder, the late Brother Joseph McNally.
A leader in artist education in Asia, the School offers contemporary practice and research-based programmes in Fine Arts at the Diploma, BA(Hons) and MA levels. Its graduates are leaders in contemporary practice and feature globally in major events, biennales and curated shows. The School also offers a unique MA in Asian Art Histories, producing path-breaking scholarly research and attracting global art historians to engage with the programme.
We are seeking an independent and adaptable leader who can inspire and guide a diverse team of artists and scholars in providing exceptional education in fine arts, as well as achieve global recognition for the School’s pedagogical initiatives and its innovative work in research-based artistic practices. The ideal candidate will have an established track record as an artist and researcher (either practice-based or through more traditional scholarship); proven skills as a tertiary-level teacher; and solid experience in administration and in leading teams. The area of artistic specialisation is open.
The incumbent reports to the Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts, Media & Creative Industries, a Faculty which also includes the Puttnam School of Film and Animation and the School of Creative Industries. The primary responsibility of the Head of School is to assist the Dean in developing the School’s vision, to proactively raise the School’s national and international profile, and to enhance external academic and industry partnerships and projects both locally and globally for student exchanges and employment opportunities.
Other key functions of the Head of School include formulating strategies, seeing through the implementation of operational plans, providing managerial and leadership direction, encouraging staff research and creative activity, and contributing proactively to the intake numbers of programmes offered under the School. The Head of School contributes to the planning, design and delivery of the curricula, oversees the continuous enhancement of the student learning experience through innovative modes of learning and teaching, while also delivering modules in her or his own area of specialisation.
Depending upon the new Head’s area of specialisation, the incumbent may concurrently take up the role of Programme Leader of one of the School’s programmes.
- A postgraduate degree, preferably PhD or MFA.
- At least 13 years of tertiary-level teaching experience, of which preferably at least 8 years or the equivalent in course/programme management and the supervision and development of teaching staff.
- Proven track record or preferably at least 8 years of full-time professional experience in the candidate’s area of artistic specialisation, including carrying out practice-based and/or scholarly research.
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills.
- Proven people management and supervisory skills.
- Team builder with an ability to inspire and collaborate with colleagues at all levels.
- Proven ability in managing curriculum planning, programme budget and programme delivery.
- Experience in developing collaborative and interdisciplinary projects, and developing strong networks with external academic partners, community and industry.
- Strong student pastoral care skills.
Please submit your letter of interest, current curriculum vitae and any relevant supporting materials, indicating current and expected salary, by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing (stating clearly the position applied for on the envelope) to:
Director & Chief Human Resource Officer
Division of Human Resources & Organisation Development
LASALLE College of the Arts
1 McNally Street, Singapore 187940
Closing date is 31 July 2022 OR until position is filled.
More information on the Institution can be found at www.lasalle.edu.sg
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.