The FAS Science Dean’s Office seeks an enthusiastic, collaborative,
and self-directed individual to provide consistent and professional
high-level administrative and logistical support to the Science
Dean’s Office. This member of the Science Dean’s senior staff
performs a wide range of complex administrative tasks and duties in
a dynamic, high-profile, fast-paced environment.
Auto req ID
359057 Admin Dept/Program Admin
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, and 5+ years of
progressive administrative management experience, including staff
supervision and financial management.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Higher education administrative experience preferred.
- High level of independent judgment, initiative, discretion,
collegiality, professionalism, confidentiality, and attention to
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills – verbal and
writing skills necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to triage and prioritize a high volume of
time-sensitive tasks and communications.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications including Outlook,
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in a Mac OS environment as well as
Office 365 collaboration tools (Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive,
- Fluency in Google Suite applications.
We regret that Harvard University is unable to provide work
authorization and/or visa sponsorship for this position.
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human
We are committed to cultivating not only the diversity of our
faculty, staff, and students but also in developing an inclusive
that is vibrant, engaging and encouraging of innovation
as well as intellectual debate. We believe creating and maintaining
an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and
walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe
culture is one that accepts, values and views
as strength the difference we all bring to the workplace.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package
- Time Off: 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid
sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical
plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting
after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance
program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and
discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as
well as additional options to assist employees in their daily
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little
or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition,
meditation and complimentary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events
and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Science Division Dean's Office
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages and provides administrative and technical assistance on
a wide range of special projects including strategic planning
initiatives at the local, divisional, and School level.
- Coordinates the Science Division’s EDIB efforts as part of
project management responsibilities.
- Prepares, manages, and oversees the Division Office budget.
Oversees and monitors the Dean's Discretionary Fund,
manages/stewards gift funds, and coordinates internal
- Based on research, advises the Dean and senior management team
on administrative, operational, and strategic considerations and
- Responsible for administrative operations of the Science Dean’s
Office. Directly supervises executive assistant (EA) position and
has overall responsibility to ensure EA functions are performed to
the highest standards. Provides coverage for EA responsibilities
- Oversees the collection, development, preparation, and curation
of comprehensive briefing materials, including agendas, talking
points, research, and background documents for meetings and
speaking engagements to ensure the Dean and other decanal staff are
- Creates, implements, and maintains a robust electronic filing
system to ensure the retention of records and historic information
as it relates to the faculty, departments/units, and programs.
- Coordinates communications for Science Division Office.
Oversees website development and maintenance. Reviews, edits, and
drafts confidential correspondence on behalf of the Dean.
- Serves as the Science Dean’s Office's primary liaison with the
FAS Dean’s Office, FAS Faculty Affairs Office, the Provost’s
Office, the Office for the Vice Provost of Research, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and
pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected
Work is performed in an office setting.
This position is eligible for flexible work arrangements as
business needs allow.
COVID Vaccine Policy:
The University requires all Harvard
community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and
remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in
Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements
. Individuals may
claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or
religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s
COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of
vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19
Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and
belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and
fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to
create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of
talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing
individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities,
life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.