Director of Auxiliary Services
Diablo Valley College
$9,758.00 - 11,888.00 per month
Under the leadership of the Vice President, Business and
Administrative Services or designee, the Director of Auxiliary
Services provides leadership and management of campus food
services, bookstore, print services, mail room, and telephone
The primary responsibility is to direct, plan, organize and
evaluate the operational and budget needs of the campus food
services, bookstore, print services, mail room, and telephone
operator. The Director develops effective operating policies,
procedures, and practices.
Examples of Duties/Essential Functions:
- Directs and plans campus and extension operations of the
bookstore to provide services to students and faculty and to cover
all operational costs.
- Manages the purchase of textbooks, other books, various
categories of general merchandise, operating equipment and related
supplies for resale. Establishes correct margin schedules to cover
costs of operation and needs of the District for revenue from
enterprise operations. Reviews vendor accounts to assure that
product mix is appropriate and provide dollar value and appropriate
- Manages bookstore information services and systems. Acts as
principal contact for third party applications software and
District interface providers. Analyzes problems and communicates to
providers and maintains an ongoing dialog until problems are
resolved. Coordinates and oversees all third-party billing
programs. Maintains the in-store computer systems specific to
bookstore operations—including computers, software, terminals, and
is responsible for maintenance and necessary repairs, upgrades and
- Oversees the operation of a shipping/receiving,
distribution/warehouse facility; responsible for both the physical
receiving of merchandise and the preparation of redistribution of
incoming bookstore merchandise to all store locations. Assures
timely receipt and return of bookstore merchandise by coordinating
deliveries between receiving/shipping facility and sales locations;
sets priorities and timelines for completion of assigned functions;
directs and monitors receiving process to assure accuracy and
integrity of merchandise flow.
- Responsible for implementation of cash control procedures to
minimize loss of funds.
- Oversees and reviews store layout, fixtures and design.
- Develops and revises operating policies, procedures and
practices in conjunction with all district bookstores in accordance
with effective retail practices and guidelines. Appraises, reviews
and analyzes industry trends and practices and technical innovation
to provide good customer service. • Maintains operations control;
monitors and analyzes sales results, operating statement, and cash
reports; develops and implements reports as necessary.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, supervises and implements all
advertising, merchandising, displays for merchandising efforts and
promotional events such as book buy-backs and used book sales.
- Maintains relationships and interacts with faculty, students,
administration, local competitors, internet competitors,
educational institutions and industry groups to resolve problems,
answer questions and/or respond to concerns as it relates to
- Assures the safety and security of assigned facilities;
determine facilities, equipment and staffing requirements for
existing and new bookstore programs; supervises financial inventory
- Plan, organize, and manage a profitable college food service
program. Determine new locations and methods for effectively and
efficiently providing food services to students and staff that meet
their scheduling needs.
- Devise a strategic marketing plan to attract students and staff
consumers; promote programs and products through special offers and
- Develop and maintain the program budget; research and recommend
- Monitor orders placed; and maintain account balances within
approved limits. Negotiate with vendors to obtain the best prices;
work with vendors to identify current and changing food products
- Establish and monitor internal procedures and controls related
to cash collections and disbursements. Review and approve hiring
recommendations; supervise classified and hourly staff; assign and
review work; conduct employee performance evaluations; recommend
disciplinary action as needed. • Provide leadership and management
for additional auxiliary services such as the campus mail room and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree in business administration,
retail management or closely related field.
Experience: Five years of related experience, including three years
of managerial experience in a college bookstore and/or food service
- Bookstore and food services business operations.
- Principles and practices of enterprise management.
- Methods and techniques of product and services ordering.
- Applicable sections of building codes.
- Applicable sections of State laws, rules, and regulations.
- Applicable accounting spreadsheet and database computer
- Principles and practices of program development and
- Analyze situations and determine effective course of
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule, coach and evaluate
- Implement concepts of shared governance.
- Interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and
- Demonstrate management and leadership skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with
those contacted in the performance of duties.
- Organize and supervise the work of others.
- Serve as a resource person to staff.
- Prepare statistical and narrative reports in a clear and
- Negotiate contracts and vendor agreements.
- Establish effective loss-control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for
the diverse academic, socio-economic, race, ethnicity, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, politics, philosophy,
disability, and religious background of all students, faculty and
Experience preparing costs analyses and budget reports.
Extensive purchasing knowledge.
Strong customer service skills and ability to interact with
multiple constituency groups.
Website management skills.
Proven track record of innovative leadershipDemonstrated experience
in managing multiple areas of operationEarned Master’s degree from
an accredited college or university in business management,
business or public administration, or related field
Note: New employees will be placed at the first step which is
$9,758.00 per month, second step $10,251.00 per month or third step
at $10,770.00 per month (depending upon experience). Based on
current salary placement guidelines, all step increases for which
an employee becomes eligible shall take place on July 1st of each
fiscal year. These increases will occur, on annual basis, until the
maximum step of $11,888.00 per month is reached on the salary
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled:
To apply, visit https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/8683