Concordia University Chicago (CUC) invites applications for the full-time, exempt position of Head Cross Country and Assistant Track Coach. This position reports directly to the Head Track & Field Coach and is located in River Forest, IL.
This position is responsible for planning and directing the men's and women's cross country program which includes recruitment of scholar athletes, practice and meet management, overseeing assistant coaches, scheduling, budgeting and promotion of the CUC sport. The Head Cross Country Coach will also be an assistant to the Head Track and Field Coach, working with the runners in distance events. This position will instruct students in running techniques, training programs, and strategies, as well as develop their skills in fitness, long distance running, and teamwork while incorporating the Concordia University's mission and foster a Christian concern for the athlete's academic, athletic, social and spiritual development.
- Responsible for all instruction of on-site coaching while creating an environment that is consistent with the values of the university and fostering the development of the student-athlete program.
- Manages the annual competitive practice and game/event schedule, arranging facility reservations and travel details for the program.
- Instruction of individual workout plans for each athlete to maximize skill development and potential, understanding of the game and game strategy
- Oversees program inventory, purchasing, storage and maintenance of equipment/uniforms
- Ensures all insurance forms, athletic eligibility certificates and end of season forms are filed in a timely manner with the Athletic Office
- Leads summer camps/clinics and other activities that support the program
- Assists the Head Track and Field Coach in helping distance runners
- Recruits student-athletes under the plan and goals set by the Recruitment Coordinator, collaborating with the Office of Undergraduate Admission and visiting various Lutheran high schools in the Midwest
- Supervises and instructs Graduate Assistants
- Prepares and monitors the approved annual budget
- Candidates must support and be committed to the mission and identity of Concordia University Chicago, a university of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS).
- Proficiency in computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Banner, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication that is effective, professional, accurate, and timely
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to managing projects and following through
- Ability to process and synthesize large amounts of information, think critically, and see the "big picture"
- Exhibits a service mentality toward all stakeholders
- Improves work performance and that of others by being receptive to and appropriately sharing information
Minimum Experience Required:
3 to 4 years of head coaching experience preferred
Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range is dependent upon individual qualifications and experience. Concordia University Chicago benefit options include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Disability and Survivor Plan (Basic Life Insurance)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement 403(b) Savings Plan
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Tuition benefits (available for employees and their qualified dependents)
Interested individuals should include a cover letter, resume and references with their online application.
In compliance with Illinois Governor JB Pritzker's Executive Order 2021-20, Concordia University Chicago requires all on-campus faculty and staff to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Further information regarding Concordia's response to COVID-19 can be found here.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College of Theology, Arts & Humanities, College of Business, College of Education, and College of Health, Science & Technology, Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of Distinction since 2010, and is consistently ranked among the Best Regional Universities-Midwest by U.S. News & World Report. For more than a decade, combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has exceeded 5,000 students. Concordia University Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Learn more about our commitment to higher education, rooted in the Gospel, at CUChicago.edu.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional teachings of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, as it forms students for vocations in church, family, and the world.