Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Student Activities
& New Student Programs Coordinator position. The Student
Activities & New Student Programs Coordinator is a full-time,
year-round position, job group and level PT-1. Given Amherst's
distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the
country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in
which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a
broadly diverse community.
The person who serves in this position is expected to assist the
College in achieving its vision and mission of student success ,
equity and inclusion, and service to the community. A commitment to
excellence, service, and a willingness to assist as needed, are
expectations for all employees.
This individual will report directly to the Director of Student
Activities and the Director of New Student Programs and will aid in
the execution of formal student programs across campus. This
individual will report directly to the Director of Student
Activities and the Director of New Student Programs and will aid in
the execution of formal student programs across campus. The
intention is for this role to support Student Activities sixty
percent of the year while supporting New Student Programs forty
The Student Activities and New Student Programs Coordinator
provides programmatic and operational support to nighttime events
and programs taking place under the purview of the Office of
Student Activities. This includes but is not limited to events
taking place in the Powerhouse, Greenway A, and Keefe Campus
Center. Duties will include hiring, training, and supervising a
diverse set of student employees in support of the Office of
Student Activities and New Student Programs. This individual will
help establish an effective oversight and support of student
workers across both departments.
Within New Student Programs this individual will oversee academic
year evening programming and first-year student leadership
development through a variety of new student initiatives as well as
a budding Sophomore experience. Orientation at Amherst College is a
one-week experience inclusive of a two-and-a-half-day immersive
experience during Orientation. This role is dedicated to
Orientation efforts throughout the summer months.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
Direct Event Management
Late Night Programming Coordination
- Provide operational and programmatic support for events (at the
Keefe Campus Center, Ford Hall, and Powerhouse) on targeted
weekends under the purview of Student Activities
- Facilitate communication between Event Managers and event hosts
for access and logistical needs in advance of the event.
- Effectively communicate across a diverse community, ensuring an
inclusive and respectful culture for all students and staff.
- Assist audiovisual/facilities setup required for events,
including training support of Campus Center Managers supporting
events in Keefe.
- Liaise between campus partners including Amherst College Police
Department, Facilities, and Environmental, Health, and Safety.
- Provide weekly/periodic reports of events; assess student
events in areas of efficacy, logistics, and student
- Work in conjunction with Lead Student Programmers to build a
robust calendar of AC After Dark events focused on alcohol-free
social options for a diverse group of students offered weekly on
Friday and/or Saturday evenings.
- Meet with student employees for one hour on a weekly basis to
plan and assign duties as needed.
- Collaborate with Student Activities Marketing Team in the
establishment of a marketing plan for weekly AC After Dark
- Generate a comprehensive assessment model for the AC After Dark
program to track attendance, student feedback, and the impact of
- Organize, and facilitate New Student Programming efforts
including New Student Dinners, Quad Council, and LEAP Reunions
- Assist in the development of a Sophomore Year Experience
program including a Mentorship Program.
Supervise Student Employees
- Assist in overseeing Fall and Spring Orientation Programs,
including 10+ LEAP Programs in collaboration with the Director of
New Student Programs.
- Maintain consistent contact with LEAP facilitators regarding
program development and execution
- Collaborate with the Director of New Student Programs to
support the fall and spring orientation programs for new, transfer,
and exchange students, including consistent summer
- Collaborate with the Faculty Orientation, the Orientation
Implementation, and the Amherst Association of Students Orientation
- Assemble assessment reports following New Student Orientation
survey for distribution to facilitators and steering
- Communicate with a diverse set of campus partners including
Registrar, Facilities, Information Services, Conference and Event
Services, Student Health Services, LEAP facilitators, Information
Technology, Dean of Students Office, and Dining to gather all new
student information to ensure a smooth arrival for new
- Manage distribution of the annual DeMott New Student Reading in
collaboration with Campus Print and Mail and the Center for
International Student Engagement.
- Manage payroll reporting and documentation for approximately
thirty (30) student employees.
- Provide in-service training and oversight of all Event Managers
and AC After Dark Lead Student Programmers for the support of
- Assist in recruiting, selection, and training for student
- Co-supervise teams Orientation Leaders, LEAP Student Leaders,
and Student Orientation Coordinators as well as New Student
Programs Coordinators during the academic year.
- Serve as PM building manager for Keefe Campus Center and
respond to patron needs as they arise.
- Maintain inventory of audiovisual equipment and supplies within
Keefe Campus Center, Powerhouse, and Greenway A Event Space.
- Stay up to date with software and hardware systems that can
facilitate our programs. These software programs include but are
not limited to: Microsoft Office Suite, CSGold, EMS Reservation
system, Datatel, Workday, and the College's Content Management
- Maintain report log of needed facilities repairs, upgrades,
- Generate weekly reports of Campus Center use and event(s)
debrief to Office of Student Activities.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Proven event and/or venue management experience
- Experience supervising a diverse staff
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills, at times in
high duress situations
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in using administrative,
organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong skills in written, oral, and electronic
- Commitment to supporting a diverse student community
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the
- Broad understanding of working in a student-focused
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may
- Masters Degree in Higher Education Administration or related
field or 2 years relevant experience
- Experience working on a college or university campus
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this