Reporting to the Director of Digital Marketing and collaborating
with IT Services personnel, this position will lead the
university’s website management program, ensuring that nau.edu is a
viable destination for paid and organic lead generation, CRM
integration, and other digital marketing initiatives.
Incumbents must be fluent in digital marketing appropriate for
complex organizations and have a strong technical background to
manage website strategy that crosses marketing and IT
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
This role is responsible for successfully planning, analyzing,
recommending, and implementing website strategies to meet NAU’s
Website strategy and leadership (25%)
- Serves as primary strategist for NAU’s public facing website,
with prioritization on organic lead generation through
- Substantially contributes to design, architecture, content
strategy, and user experience direction for websites and
- Ensure that strategy, optimization initiatives, and support
needs are closely coordinated with ITS colleagues, vendors, and
- Contributes to the development of website governance policies
and processes and serves on the website steering committee.
- Directs large-scale website development projects, in
collaboration with primary internal and external stakeholders and
- With marketing project manager(s), co-leads requirements
gathering and assessment with stakeholders, to establish and
communicate feature/development roadmaps.
- Ensures web properties accurately represent the NAU brand, meet
quality expectations, and reflect user-centric design.
- Monitors competitor and industry-leading websites to drive
effective strategy. Maintains current knowledge of leading website
trends, norms, best practices, and innovation.
- Provides input into and identifies opportunities to improve
organic lead generation outcomes.
- Leverages internal digital analyst to recommend and track
progress toward quarterly KPIs and meet website optimization
- Supports conversion rate optimization-related initiatives
through hypothesis testing and validation (A/B Testing).
Website management (35%)
- Supports and leads website troubleshooting efforts, in close
coordination with marketing project manager and IT teams
responsible for enterprise-level infrastructure, development, and
- Collaborates with marketing teams (client services, designers,
writers, project managers, and photographers) to develop and
- Directs outside vendors supporting University website
- Ensures supported sites are compatible across multiple
platforms and browsers to provide a functional and convenient user
- Ensures content meets accessibility requirements and complies
with industry and institutional standards (e.g., WC3 web standards,
WCAG standards). Collaborates with university accessibility
- Works within the context of the CMS administration console to
direct their team to make configuration level changes to site
layout and menu structure within established guidelines.
- Works within established NAU brand guidelines and standards,
technical protocols, and departmental specific procedures.
- Supports the definition and development of custom landing pages
to support lead generation and university initiatives.
- Works within the context of established code repositories,
deployment methodologies, website governance, project management,
and change management practices.
- May provide input, support, and/or quality assurance
verification for ITS- and vendor-managed enterprise-wide WordPress
- May provide ad hoc, lightweight development support by
contributing bug fixes and introducing code revisions within the
context of established enterprise themes.
- Coaches, mentors, and motivates a team of full time
- Evaluates team performance and identifies and prioritizes needs
for development; reviews completed work to verify technical
soundness; works within existing standards to promote
- Monitors employee interactions and promotes a productive,
inclusive work environment; identifies potential performance and
employee relations issues; and applies institutional HR and talent
policies and practices.
- Applies intermediate knowledge of employee regulations,
policies, and procedures, including delivering formal feedback,
planning setting priorities, motivating employees, resolving
conflicts, and addressing performance issues.
- Provides input to employment decisions and has significant
influence over performance and rewards decisions.
- Develops and supports employee development plans and
- Maintains currency in leadership trends and best practices,
applying to all facets of leadership, from team supervision and
culture to business innovation and impact.
- Demonstrates alignment with NAU’s values and commitment to the
marketing department’s guiding principles.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing proactive engagement with
departments across the campus to meet institutional
- Applies team- and solution-oriented approaches to
problem-solving; proactively identifies opportunities for tighter
cross-team alignment on priorities, resources, process
- Proactively reports/presents program and team outcomes to
leadership and colleagues.
- Represents Marketing on assigned university committees.
- Serves as point of escalation for assigned functional
- Understands and applies knowledge of appropriate handling of
university marketing information and various marketing requests
from all university units.
- Performs other duties necessary for the effective operation of
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- 3-5 years of relevant functional experience (combination of
website strategy and management experience).
- 2-4 years of management/supervisory experience.
- Any equivalent combination of related education, experience,
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- 5-7 years of relevant functional experience.
- 3+ years of functional experience within a higher education
setting (or a similarly complex environment).
Please see nau.jobs for
full job descriptions and details on how to apply
online! NAU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals
with disabilities are encouraged to apply