The University of Maryland Alumni Association is seeking a dynamic,
organized, and customer service oriented event professional to join
our team. The Event Coordinator reports directly to the
Assistant Director of Events for the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni
Center. They are responsible for the execution of event
rentals within the Alumni Center. The Event Coordinator
manages all aspects of the client events, after contract
signing. This individual serves as the main point of contact
for their clients and is responsible for room diagrams, logistics,
appropriate paperwork, and onsite event management to ensure a
smooth event from start to finish.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Serve as the main point of contact for assigned client events
held at the alumni center. Manage logistics such as, but not
limited to: event sales/contract negotiation, conduct preliminary
walk-through meetings with clients, create room diagrams, discuss
event needs, negotiate catering on behalf of the client, and
arrange parking when necessary. Will be onsite at all
assigned events (roughly 15 per month).
- Effectively “up-sell” items such as bar packages, in-house
uplighting, and staging to enhance the client’s event.
- Maintain accurate records of events and ensure information is
- Ensure all billing is complete with the client, working closely
with the association’s accounts receivable office.
- Conduct consistent and reliable communication with clients via
email and phone.
- Complete timely follow-up with clients such as thank you notes
or sentiments, and event evaluations.
- Be onsite for all alumni association signature events to
include the Celebration of Terps (annual alumni awards gala), home
football tailgates, UMD Homecoming and MD Day.
- Other Administrative duties as assigned by the Senior Event
(include licenses, certifications,
Bachelor’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education
and/or experience may be substituted for the degree.
A minimum of 3 years of experience managing a variety of
events. Successful candidates must have experience using
event management and/or diagram software.
3 years of experience with a
Bachelor’s Degree; OR
5 years of experience with an Associate’s Degree; OR
7 years of experience with a High School Diploma or GED.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Superior customer service skills and friendly disposition.
- Excellent creativity, idea generation, and on-target solutions
for the development and enhancement of events.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-quality,
- Skilled in discovering and anticipating client needs, and
designing creative event solutions.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Professional demeanor, both with customers, co-workers, and