The University of Maryland Alumni Association seeks an Assistant
Director of Events who will report directly to the Director of
Sales & Marketing for the Riggs Alumni Center. They will
be responsible for the execution of event rentals within the Alumni
Center. The Assistant Director serves as the main point of
contact for clients and supervises an Event Coordinator as well as
student interns and workers. In addition, they will serve as
a consultant to other staff within the division for their events at
the Riggs Alumni Center.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited
- Conduct preliminary walk-through meetings with clients, create
room diagrams, discuss event needs, negotiate catering on behalf of
the client, and arrange parking when necessary.
- Effectively “up-sell” items such as bar packages, in-house
uplighting, and staging to enhance the client’s event.
- Manage highly visible VIP events and Tier I
- Supervise and assign monthly events to the Event Coordinator,
with input from the Director of Sales and Marketing.
- Manage weekly schedule with campus security and serve as
a POC for bi-weekly campus event planners meeting.
- Manage beverage inventory including monthly inventory, price
comparison between venues and product, and supply
- Ensure all billing is complete with the client, working closely
with the association’s accounts receivable office.
- Complete timely follow-up with clients such as thank you notes
or sentiments and event evaluations.
- Maintain inventory of all event-related equipment.
- Maintain necessary venue permits & licensing process to
include: liquor, special entertainment, and food service
(include licenses, certifications,
Bachelor’s degree required.
A minimum of six years of experience managing and personally
implementing the entire event cycle for a variety of events.
Successful candidates must have some supervisory experience
(student or contractor supervision acceptable).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Superior customer service skills and friendly disposition
- Excellent creativity, idea generation, and on-target solutions
for the development and enhancement of events.
- Strong leadership and organization skills.
- Experience in food/beverage management
- Strong knowledge of, and relationships with, event-related
vendors including florists, audiovisual, linens, special effects,
gifts and favors, and other service providers.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-quality,
- Skilled in discovering and anticipating client needs, and
designing creative event solutions.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Proficiency in event management and/or diagram software (CVENT,
Tripleseat, Room viewer, or similar program)