At Unity, sustainability isn’t a buzzword. It’s the foundation of
our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our
properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered
to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and
entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to
Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you’ll start to ask tough questions,
challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking
the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the
future you want, we can make it happen.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology (IT), and
working closely with the Systems Analyst, the Software Developer is
responsible for development, design and implementation of new or
modified functional software solutions to meet ongoing business
needs. The Software Developer engages in all phases of the software
development lifecycle - including: gathering and analyzing business
system requirements, developing and testing new software solutions,
resolving bugs, responding to service issues and creating system
documentation. The Software Developer works with other developers,
solution architects and systems analysts on the information
technology team, as well as internal clients and product managers
throughout the software development life cycle.
The Software Developer is a team player with a keen eye for
detail and great problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. The
Software Developer may participate in design meetings and consult
with clients to refine, test and debug programs to meet business
needs and interact with third party partners in the achievement of
business and technology initiatives. T
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Provide support for and maintenance of existing line of
business software solutions.
- Design, develop and support new software functionalities within
new and existing solutions.
- Integrate data between multiple applications, services, and
- Develop and maintain SQL queries, stored procedures, views and
- Communicate with team members to identify road blocks and
deliver functional outcomes to meet development requirements and
- Develop new features and functions that interact with legacy
- Work with other developers to design algorithms, flowcharts,
code and associated documentation.
- Produce clean, efficient and secure code based on provided
specifications and industry best practices.
- Integrate custom software solutions with third-party programs
and off the shelf software.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software for technical
problems and performance improvement.
- Gather and evaluate user feedback.
- Create technical documentation for reference and
- Multi-task and change from one task to another without loss of
efficiency or composure.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
UNITY COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity College’s core values and
serves as a role model for the College’s standards of conduct.
- Contributes to the College’s commitment to sustainability and
contributes to the College’s commitment to support a diverse and
inclusive working and learning environment.
- Follows safety and infection control policies while assisting
with their enforcement.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional
knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current
practices, new developments, and applicable laws. In addition to
actively participating in Unity College Professional Development
days and Unity College required annual trainings.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service
and student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position you must be able to execute
each of the position specific responsibilities while meeting the
Additionally, the position specific education, skills and
competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made
upon approval by the supervisor and Director of Human Resources, to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- High School or equivalent GED diploma plus:
- Ability to continually evolve/improve productivity and
environment and learn new development trends/practices.
- Skilled in at least one .net language (VB or C#).
- Applicable understanding of development of web-based
- Applicable database development skills – MSSQL preferred.
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills, including the ability
to take tasks through to completion.
- Commitment to excellent customer service and product
- Strong problem analysis and decision-making ability.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
- College degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, or related
discipline – experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years development experience - preferred 1+ years VB.Net
and/or C# - experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years of experience in application database design and
development - MSSQL preferred - experience can be substituted for a