The Webmaster / Digital Communications Coordinator builds and
maintains all external facing websites including citadel.edu, The
Citadel Today, and special pages for communications and marketing
efforts as needed. They oversee the first impression and user
experience of the college’s web presence, and enhance the capacity
of the Office of Communications and Marketing to transmit
integrated messaging to target audiences across an array of digital
The current primary objective is to lead the migration of the
college’s main website to the new content management system.
Ongoing objectives include developing more impactful templates for
key admissions pages, creating and integrating new website features
that enhance the user experience, and building efficiencies within
the CMS backend.
The Webmaster / Digital Communications Coordinator also serves as a
liason between OCM and the Department of Information Technology
- Website management, design and development:
Oversees content, site architecture, design and development of
templates for the college website. Routinely monitors the website
to be sure all content is current, effective and aligned with the
messages being issued in other media. Leads periodic redesign and
implementation of new features.
- CMS user support and training: Assists campus
departments with creation of web content and teaches them how to
use the college’s content management system. Provides CMS training
and user support via one-on-one consulting and small group
workshops. Teaches and encourages department contributors to follow
best practices for web content, and to be proactive and creative
with their web presence.
- Website optimization and consistency:
Continually improve search engine optimization (SEO), maintain a
consistent website architecture, and ensure adherence to the
college’s brand guidelines.
- Web governance: Leads strategic planning for
web governance and quality assurance with regard to the college’s
public facing website. Helps the college ensure web content
complies with ADA standards for accessible design by optimizing
content and teaching best practices to department
- Communications: Implement communication plans,
in conjunction with other OCM staff, for campus-wide initiatives
and in response to events impacting the college. Support marketing
efforts by building landing pages and implementing Google Tag
Manager as needed.
- Miscellaneous : Represent OCM on
councils and committees as needed. Other duties as assigned.
This position resides in the college’s central communications and
marketing office. Under minimal supervision, the Webmaster /
Digital Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of
Marketing. Overnight travel may occasionally be required for
professional development. Occasional after hours support is
- Bachelor’s degree in web development, graphic design, or
- At least three years of professional experience in web
development, design and content management.
- Must be a proficient web designer and developer who thinks like
- Strong knowledge of responsive web design and open-source
content management systems is a must
- Familiarity with WordPress theme and plugin development is
- PHP, HTML and CSS experience required, as well as experience
with Git and development workflows
- Experience in search engine optimization, increasing web
traffic, and engaging key audiences online
- Must possess excellent writing and communication skills
- Must be a self starter with great attention to detail
- Must be able to lead projects or work closely with a variety of
persons and teams
- Must be able to act with discretion and good judgment,
balancing competing priorities
*Please note, in addition to your online application, you
will need to upload a portfolio of your work (or include a link to
your portfolio in your resume). This is required as part of the
The Citadel is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action
employer and does not discriminate against any individual, or group
of individuals, on the basis of age, color, race, disability,
gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, pregnancy,
national origin, genetic information or veteran's status in its
employment practices. The Citadel has a culturally diverse faculty
and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment. We
encourage applications from minorities, females, individuals with
disabilities and veterans.
- Graphic design and copywriting experience is a plus, as is an
understanding of marketing/communications strategies and
- Higher education experience is also a plus.
Aug 17 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Sep 30 2021 Eastern Daylight Time