Anticipated Openings for Housekeeping Positions
Smith College invites applications for anticipated openings for
various Housekeeping positions within the facilities management
department. All positions are 39 weeks with a Monday-Friday
Schedule. Pay rates starting at 18.69 an hour.
To provide a safe and sanitary environment by maintaining assigned
college residential areas in accordance with established college
procedures.Take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce
and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful,
inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, education,
experience, certifications, licenses)
- Clean, organize and sanitize all restroom fixtures including
but not limited to showers, toilets, bathtubs, sinks, utility
sinks, sanicans, shower sheets and mirrors. Replace shower sheets
and replenish restroom supplies as needed.
- Clean and organize assigned areas, including but not limited to
common areas. Dust, rearrange and spot clean furniture and
furnishings as needed. High dust all woodwork, pipes, and
partitions in all corridors.
- Clean, sweep, dry mop, wet mop all tile, wood floors and
stairs. Vacuum all carpeted areas.
- Clean, organize and sanitize all kitchenettes.
- Clean and organize guest rooms and change bed linen as
- Dust and check fire extinguishers.
- Empty waste baskets and comply with college recycling
- Must comply with cleaning frequency requirements as scheduled
for your assigned areas.
- Read and comply with all departmental notices and attend
department meetings as required.
- Report all necessary maintenance and repair items to your
senior housekeeper or supervisor and assist in documenting
- Maintain all housekeeping tools and equipment.
- Maintain adequate stock for housekeeping and laundry storage
- Complete assigned project work, including but not limited to
cleaning fireplaces, dusting vent and light covers, vacuuming
draperies, washing woodwork and piano keys.
- Participate on cleaning team and provide support for other
housekeeping areas as required.
- Assist with moving and/or rearranging furniture as
- Must be able to work independently and in a team
- Train weekend student workers and offer guidance to students
who request equipment or supplies for cleaning their rooms.
- Maintain positive public relations with all members of the
- Perform additional related duties as assigned.
- All employees are expected to participate in the College's
efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work
- High school/vocational diploma, GED equivalent or combination
of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year (preferred) housekeeping/custodial experience
in a service related industry.
- Must comply with all state and federal guidelines applicable to
custodial personnel in an institutional setting.
- Must be able to pass a C.O.R.I check.
- Experience working with diverse backgrounds.
- Must possess a proven track record of good attendance,
punctuality and good judgment to take appropriate independent
action to carry out the primary functions of the job.
- Individuals hired or transferring into this position will be
required to complete training and demonstrate proficiency in
accessing the internet, using the Smith e mail system and the work
order system within three months of their hire or promotion.
- Must be able to work in hot, humid or dusty conditions and be
able to withstand exposure to, and use of, cleaning chemicals
without adverse reactions.
- Know and have a basic understanding of the chemicals and
processes used in the cleaning schedule; be familiar with chemical
safety and Materials Safety Data Sheets.
- Know the cleaning schedule for all assigned areas and look for
ways to improve on that schedule.
- Must be able to kneel, crouch and bend repetitively for
- Must be able to safely lift, carry and move materials up to
thirty pounds, as well as reach and work overhead on a regular
- Must be able to safely climb step ladders, multiple flights of
stairs and be able to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Must be able to safely operate housekeeping tools and
Please attach/upload a current resume and cover letter in order for
your application to be considered for this position.
About Smith College
Located in Northampton, MA, Smith College is one of the largest
women’s colleges in the country and is dedicated to excellence in
teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of
outstanding scholars interact with students in small classes, as
advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. The
College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst,
Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of
Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and faculty
cross-teach across the Five Colleges.
Smith College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color,
religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and
employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its
programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and
regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.