Provide academic guidance and assistance for students by planning
schedules, recommending programs and determining appropriate
education solutions for post-secondary and high school
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Provide information in person, and via phone or email about
Washburn Tech’s application and enrollment process to help students
enroll successfully at the institution.
• Meet with students as needed to discuss academic progress and
recommend alternatives and resources available to assist with
issues that impede their academic progress. Connect students with
key campus partners/resources and provide academic advising.
• Discuss associate degree options available at Washburn Tech and
Washburn University to help potential students identify career
options and develop academic plans to support their goals. Refer to
appropriate staff as needed.
• Evaluate grades and attendance to assess student progress toward
graduation, and satisfactory academic standing related to probation
• Collaborate with instructors to manage students who exhibit
disruptive behavior, perform poorly in class or require special
• Serve as a liaison with school districts who send students to
Washburn Tech. Communicate with school districts via high school
counselors and principals. Establish and maintain class rosters to
provide accurate data on students to the participating school
• Develop processes and programs to address specific student needs
and for events such as enrollment, progression, and
• Collaborate with other Washburn University and Washburn Tech
staff to plan and coordinate on campus planning of a career fair,
resource fair, graduation send-off and grad fair.
• Refer students seeking employment to appropriate placement
centers. Develop and maintain referral relationships with Kansas
Workforce Centers and encourage students to register and pursue
employment openings and financial assistance opportunities with
• Work closely with appropriate staff t to proactively intervene
and assist students experiencing personal or behavioral problems.
Work as part of a coordinated care team to assist students.
• Collaborate with other Washburn Tech staff and faculty to plan
and coordinate the annual commencement ceremony.
• Present information at Student Orientation sessions, and arrange
for speakers to highlight services and resources available to
• Coordinate with other staff to collect and manage attendance
information through the appropriate software application. Provide
training on software use to instructors as needed.
• Collect data via electronic and in-person methods to assist with
annual Kansas Department of Education ( KSDE ) reporting.
• Serve on committees and boards voluntarily or as assigned.
• Provide information to new instructors to familiarize them with
advising and enrollment processes, attendance reporting and
• Attend professional workshops and conferences to update knowledge
and techniques relative to advising, recruitment, enrollment and
retention of students.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Proficient in Microsoft Office. One
year experience working directly with post-secondary or secondary
students to promote student success. Effective written and verbal
communication skills. Ability to work well with faculty, staff,
students and co-workers; and to work effectively in a team
environment. Experience working with a diverse population of
students who possess a broad range of academic skills and goals.
Experience maintaining confidentiality.
Preferred: Master’s degree in student affairs, counseling or
education. Experience working with both secondary and
post-secondary students. Experience in student advisement or
counseling. Experience in the direct delivery of client services.
Bilingual in Spanish.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of academic advisement practices as well as formal or
informal understanding of student development. Ability to work in a
fast-paced, collaborative environment.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record under
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please complete the supplemental questions in addition to including
your cover letter and resume/vita
Monday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.,
Wednesday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Thursday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30
p.m., Friday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Other - Occasional evenings
and weekend hours are required
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching
focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the
diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates
who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that
fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and
we encourage applications from members of groups that have been
historically underrepresented in higher education. Application
materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will
contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and
inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal
access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national
origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have the required Bachelor's degree for this position?
- * Do you have a Master's Degree?
- Currently completing
- How many years of experience do you have with advising,
academic coaching, teaching, counseling, social work, and/or
mentoring? (Combined or any one skill alone)
- 1-11 months
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- More than 4 years
- Cover Letter