DIRECTOR OF FUNDRAISING
Director of Development
Institutional Advancement, Division of
Staff & Administration
Low to Mid $90's
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
The overall goal of this full-time position is to build and expand
efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward outright gifts
of $25,000 or more from SUNY Cortland alumni, faculty and staff
(current and emeritus), parents and friends.
Under general direction of the associate vice president for
Intuitional Advancement ( AVPIA ); the director of development will
use knowledge of planned giving; track record of closing annual and
major gifts, and ability to work in a complex environment to manage
the leadership gifts, major gifts and planned giving operation of
the development team. Demonstrate your passion for fundraising and
expertise in developing communications/messaging to create
fundraising strategies and donor events for diverse audiences,
while you successfully manage multiple projects and solicitations,
and use your supervisory experience and knowledge of Blackbaud (or
similar donor data/prospect management platforms) to effectively
research alumni and donors/prospects and maintain appropriate
- Work closely and collaboratively as a member of the leadership
team for the development unit in Institutional Advancement, which
includes: The Annual Fund, Major and Planned Giving, Leadership
Gifts, Scholarships and Donor Relations, and Advancement
- Provide direct supervision for all gift officers. This includes
management and assessment of both individual and collective
fundraising goals and objectives, as well as developing appropriate
performance programs and evaluations.
- Responsible for all operational budgets under the development
unit in coordination with the Foundation’s Director of Financial
- Collaborate with the AVPIA to establish fundraising goals and
objectives for the development team.
- Work with members of the development team involved in donor
solicitation and portfolio management to establish individual
fundraising goals and strategies that include prospect research,
travel visits, donor development, moves management and stewardship.
Work with members of the data operations and gift processing team
in support of fundraising and stewardship efforts.
- Work collaboratively with the directors for marketing,
communications, alumni engagement, Cortland Fund, foundation
financial operations and the AVPIA to provide divisional
leadership, including strategic planning, staff development and
- Work closely with members of the Foundation Board of Directors
( BOD ) and specifically the Development Committee on establishing,
monitoring and reporting fundraising initiatives. This may include
routine communication with directors on initiatives/activities,
industry best practices and BOD involvement in fundraising.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 prospects and donors. Travel 4-6 days
per month and schedule 8-12 face-to-face visits per month with
donor prospects to cultivate, solicit and steward financial support
for the College.
- Assist in concluding the All In: Building on Success
comprehensive campaign for Cortland and leading the development
team through future comprehensive campaigns.
- Work with AVPIA and the Director of The Cortland Fund to
develop a robust Faculty/Staff giving campaign. Through this
initiative, work to establish key relationships with colleagues
across campus in promoting the work that Institutional Advancement
provides to our constituents.
- Ensure all constituency groups receive a positive and
personally satisfying experience.
- Regularly attend Cortland College Foundation Development
committee meetings, Foundation Board of Directors Meetings, staff
appropriate meetings, and provide reports on the progress of fund
raising efforts. Also, attend college-sponsored events as
- Serve as a member of the IA Leadership Team and on other campus
committees as appropriate.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports to the Associate Vice President for Institutional
- Member of the Institutional Advancement Leadership Team
- Works closely with members of the Foundation Board of
- Direct supervisor to four (4) gift officers
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 3 years of progressive fundraising experience.
- At least 3 years of experience managing staff.
- Evidence of effective communication and interpersonal
- Demonstrated ability to organize, market and implement
successful special events.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud (or similar donor data/prospect
management platforms and computer literacy for using various
software packages including database systems.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work periodic evenings
and weekends as necessary.
- Graduate degree
- Progressive experience with higher education fundraising
- Campaign experience
- Experience using Blackbaud donor data/prospect management
- More than three years of experience with progressive
responsibility of managing staff.
- Supervision of higher education fundraising professionals,
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Please describe in detail how your background and experience
would be applicable for this position in a College/University
(Open Ended Question)
- If you have not had higher ed experience, please explain your
interest in working in this environment.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess? Please
include the degree program.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you willing and able to travel as needed?
- * Are you willing and able to work during weekend and evening
hours as needed?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)