COMMUNITY RELATIONS ASSOCIATE
Senior Visual Media Specialist
Institutional Advancement, Division of
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
The Senior Visual Media Specialist will support the university’s
marketing and communication efforts by developing and locating
imagery and producing graphic design work that achieves
institutional objectives, messaging, awareness building, brand
reputation and positioning.
A conceptual thinker, the Senior Visual Media Specialist will work
collaboratively with campus community members to procure
photography and maintain the collection of images. The Senior
Visual Media Specialist will also serve as a graphic designer under
the guidance of the assistant director of creative services to
strengthen the SUNY Cortland Brand by upholding established
guidelines. They will also provide area-specific marks and logos,
produce layouts, make revisions and send files to press for a
variety of print publications.
Photo Shoot Management
Photo Database Management
- Collaborate with campus community members to conceptualize
photo setups and locations.
- Coordinate photoshoot schedules, participants, times, locations
and send confirmations.
- Serve as location and scheduling point person on shoots—manage
the shoot as it unfolds.
- Organize, structure and classify campus photography collection
for easy access.
- Assign keywords and tags to photos.
- Keep campus photography collection up to date with most current
- Select the best images from photoshoots and incorporate them
into the photo database.
- Develop and maintain a photoshoot calendar for the Marketing
and Communications Offices and communicate photoshoot information
- Consolidate photos from other sources, such as international
programs, athletics and Alumni Engagement, and integrate them into
the campus-wide collection.
- Edit photos, i.e. color correcting, cropping, sizing, etc.
Area Specific Marks and Sport Club logos creation
- Design materials for print and digital usage, typically from
templates or samples.
- Make corrections and revisions to print and digital
- Create design mock-ups/comps.
- Optimize photos for best print reproduction.
- Work with printers, including the Duplicating Center, to obtain
quotes and provide press-ready files.
Digital Asset Management
- Field requests from campus offices and departments who request
an area-specific primary or secondary logo.
- Field requests from sport clubs to update old logos and/or
create a new mark based on an established identity system. Work
with groups to provide them with files that can be used to produce
apparel at Graph-Tex or other vendors.
- Help to maintain the collection of graphic elements, organizing
and disseminating files as needed.
- Act as a liaison for management of the StudentBridge campus map
and work to provide updated photography and videos of campus
- Field photography requests and deliver images or provide
database access instructions.
- Determine area of need within the photo collection.
- Manage database of inactive photos older than 7 years.
- Identify appropriate photos to be repurposed and make
recommendations for publication.
- Locate and provide photography for special projects.
- Maintain the “Face of SUNY Cortland” program.
- Take photographs as needed.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and industry best
practices/make software recommendations.
- Assist with coordinating video shoot schedules, participants,
times, locations and send confirmations
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports directly to the assistant director of creative
- Supervise interns and/or student employees
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one year of professional work experience in a related
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, photography, new media
design, communications or related field
- Demonstrated familiarity with AP style
- High level of creativity
- Experience coordinating and/or managing photo/video shoots
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)
- Other - See Special Instructions to Applicants