ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF ALUMNI AFFAIRS
Associate Director of Alumni Engagement
Institutional Advancement, Division of
Alumni Engagement Office
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
The associate director will build initiatives to create meaningful
relationships with an increasingly diverse alumni population and
engage constituents from historically marginalized communities.
Work with a positive, motivated team, supervise alumni engagement
program staff, and implement strategies and metrics to ensure
programs and events meet the SUNY Cortland Alumni Association’s
goal of developing lifelong relationships with alumni to advance
the University and its mission. Create and manage a comprehensive
engagement program that encourages alumni to support SUNY
Campus Community Mission Support
Reporting, Planning, and Administration
- Align all alumni programs and services to support the missions,
visions and values of SUNY Cortland and the Alumni Association.
Programs should enhance student experience and facilitate alumni
access. Events should engage a diverse population of alumni and
connect a large number of alumni with broad representation from
historically marginalized groups and communities.
- Develop an affinity strategy, communication calendar and alumni
engagement strategy for Reunion. Develop a pipeline to engage
reunion attendees in other alumni initiatives.
- Collaborate with Career Services to develop and execute
student-alumni programs for mentoring and career development.
Assist with marketing Handshake, the career-services platform to
- Utilize regional, local and campus events and marketing such as
the annual Cortaca Jug football game to maximize alumni
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Multicultural Life
and Diversity Office ( MLDO ) and the Institutional Equity and
Inclusion Office ( IEI ) and collaborate to create programs and
initiatives to engage historically marginalized alumni groups.
- Advise Alumni Engagement and Alumni Association Board regarding
marketing of alumni benefits and programs, as well as, identifying
- Represent the College and Alumni Association at appropriate
activities on and off campus.
- Attend all Alumni Board meetings and assist in the management
of at least one Board committee by acting as the committee
- Serve as the staff liaison to the SUNY Cortland Alumni
Association Board of Director Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
committee. Work with the committee to strengthen training, policies
and board culture.
As the associate director you will demonstrate your commitment
to treat others at all levels of the organization with fairness and
respect; understanding and appreciation of diversity, equity and
inclusion in the workplace; desire and ability to promote an
environment of inclusive excellence; and lead with customer-centric
focus on providing exceptional quality and service; and, use your
passion or creativity, for excellence and continuous
- Develop and maintain user proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and
Anthology software to increase connections with alumni, market
alumni programs and initiatives and cultivate data. Create software
efficiencies and procedures.
- Prepare annual reports related to board committees and
- Prepare program budget expenditures and develop metrics for use
of these resources.
- Contribute (writing/proofreading) to the production of Columns,
the alumni magazine. Contribute regularly to Alumni Association
digital media and Red Dragon Network in order to increase
connections among alumni and promote programs.
- Supervise assistant directors and the department secretary.
Provide operational direction, train, develop and provide feedback
while creating an environment where employees enjoy coming to work
and are focused in helping the University and its mission. Adjust
priorities and reallocate tasks based on changing work
- Represent the department, when necessary, utilizing the
broad-based knowledge, critical skills and abilities to perform
higher-level duties and responsibilities around staff management
and budget, in the executive director’s absence.
- Develop volunteer guidelines for all programs and identify
recognition protocols for volunteer involvement.
- Assist the executive director in development and maintenance of
departmental metrics reporting, including an alumni engagement
score to demonstrate current alumni population data benchmarks for
measurement, annual planning, and reporting.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports to the executive director.
- Supervises two assistant directors and the department’s
- Works closely with the SUNY Cortland Alumni Association.
- Collaborates with professional staff across the campus.
Critical Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience in Alumni Engagement, fundraising or
- Supervisory experience
- Experience planning and implementing events
- Demonstrated ability to develop marketing or communication
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication
- Volunteer management skills
- Willingness and availability to work evening and weekends as
- Experience in Alumni Engagement
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Experience in work related to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience developing metrics and assessment tools
- Budget development and management
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Are you willing and able to work during weekend and evening
hours as needed?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)