Whatcom Community College (WCC) is seeking a visionary marketing
and communications leader for an exceptional opportunity to enhance
the College’s reputation and distinctive brand in the national and
regional marketplaces. Reporting to the Executive Director for
Institutional Advancement, this position oversees the marketing and
communications department and is an active participant in
WCC’s strategic priorities and continuous improvement efforts
to attract students, increase awareness, strengthen the College
image, and advance relationships throughout the community.
The Director for Communications and Marketing leads and
actively works to plan and implement a College-wide strategic
marketing effort to promote WCC to its various stakeholders,
including current and prospective students, business and industry,
community organizations, and the public. The Director has a
substantial role in Strategic Enrollment Management, leading and
supporting marketing and communication initiatives that increase
awareness of College offerings and boosts College enrollment.
This position also serves as the Public Information Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop, lead, and implement the College’s comprehensive
communication and marketing plan:
- Lead and manage communication and marketing efforts to increase
WCC’s public profile, visibility, and brand–recognition at the
local, regional and national levels.
- In collaboration with other campus stakeholders, assess and
refresh marketing materials to successfully meet established
enrollment growth goals. Evaluate effectiveness of materials and
strategies with regular reports to College leadership.
- Stimulate and coordinate media interest in the College through
press releases, media request responses, and targeted media
- Provide editorial direction and supervise the design,
production, and distribution of all College marketing and
communication publications and printed material in collaboration
with key stakeholders.
- Oversee and ensure editing for the highest level of
professionalism and cultural competence in all written
communication that represents campus diversity, equity, and
- Oversee the College’s digital marketing efforts including
website and mobile design, social media, brand alignment and
maintenance. Develop and advance content for the College’s primary
web page(s) and mobile experience; work with content managers to
keep information current, culturally responsive, and relevant.
- Ensure stories featuring diverse students, alumni, faculty, and
staff are routinely shared internally and externally.
- Facilitate, oversee, and productively disseminate market
- Oversee the creative development process, including photography
and video production—working with outside vendors as needed.
- Develop culturally inclusive concepts; write content for
College print and digital publications, including annual report,
quarterly newsletter, advertising copy, and direct mailers.
- Develop and implement an internal communication plan with
various constituencies on campus to ensure consistent,
equity-minded campus communication.
- Support the President’s Office in preparing content for
communications as requested.
- Develop and maintain a proactive and productive relationship
with campus departments centralizing communication, particularly to
support the college’s core themes of building community, advancing
equity, enhancing effectiveness and achieving success.
Provide leadership to the Communication and Marketing
- Ensure efficient and clear project management and workflow
processes for the Communication and Marketing team, creating
broadly shared expectations for customer service with internal
- Hire, evaluate and support professional development of
- Lead team to actively participate in campus life, to ensure
deep awareness of the Whatcom Community College story as it
continues to evolve.
- Set priorities and goals for the Communications and Marketing
- Prepare and manage the department budget.
Serve as Public Information Officer:
- Serve as the College’s media liaison, responding to inquiries
and preparing leadership for speaking events, presentations, and
- Serve on the campus Incident Management Team and work directly
with the Director for Campus Safety & Security on crisis
- Represent the College in community and professional
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years of work experience in marketing and
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing, editing, and publishing
content for web, social media, print marketing and internal
- Community College/Higher Education experience.
- Background in Marketing and Advertising.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with sensitive
- Knowledge of Microsoft office suite, software programs such as,
InDesign, web content management systems, Google analytics, social
media and media mentions management, advertising tracking, and
other relevant marketing platforms.
- Strong, effective organizational and interpersonal
- Excellent speaking and writing abilities, with experience
communicating to a diverse audience.
- Experience working with teams.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a 12 month, full-time Administrative/Exempt position.
Exempt from Washington State civil service law with an annual
salary based upon a range of $80,000 - $90,000 DOE.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including
health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a
Additionally, as a Washington State, public higher education
institution, WCC offers the following:
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for
the PSLF program. If you work for the College
full time, have had Direct Loans and are on an eligible repayment
plan, you are eligible to apply.
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in
the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which
provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be
received by Friday, September 3rd, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Position open
Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online
application and the following:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and
preparation to meet the duties of the position.
- Current resume.
- Diversity statement that ensures marketing campaigns and campus
communications are inclusive of diverse populations, cultures, and
- Unofficial Transcripts for all earned degrees; official
transcripts required prior to official start date.
- An electronic portfolio of previous work that demonstrates
ability and effectiveness in leveraging various media
- List of five recent professional references with current