Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work,
learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great
College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty,
staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that
is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests
of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go
in your career, you can get there from here!
HCC is recruiting for a Customer Account Specialist to support
the finance team in Columbia, MD.
Employee performs full cycle accounting work in the area of
accounts receivable and cashiering by processing all incoming
accounting data such as cash, checks and credit card payments, wire
transactions, financial aid and purchase order payments and
performs sponsor account reconciliation. Employee produces outgoing
material such as receipts, invoices and statements. Work is
performed in an accurate and timely manner under supervision and in
compliance with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles)
- Employee must comply with PCI DSS standards and complete annual
training. Employee must be well-informed about changes to student
finance views to understand and educate student body and have
knowledge of all policies and procedures that impact the student
account from a college wide prospective.
- Receives, verifies, logs, and processes all incoming data in
batch processing. Prepares all necessary documents for each
transaction and reconciles all transactions at the end of the
- Assists and helps students over the telephone, by email, and in
person, with issues related to registration charges, financial aid,
Nelnet payment plan, and Higher One inquiries.
- Provides full service to patrons during window hours by taking
payments, processing refunds, and answering inquiries. Requires
extensive knowledge of Financial Aid & Registration policies
and procedures as well as an understanding of the transactions from
those offices on the student account.
- Verifies, computes, and processes student and vendor refunds in
compliance with Title IV regulations, including card activation and
identification verification with the Higher One refund vendor.
- Prepares outgoing materials such as vendor billing, student
invoices, and transcript evaluation fees and updates A/R files for
- Ensures security and confidentiality of all accounting
documents and assets in regards to FERPA (Family Educational Rights
and Privacy Act) compliance..
- Investigates, researches and resolves discrepancies in student
& vendor accounts. This requires
- good accounting skills and the ability to analyze a very
complex accounting system.
- Files and maintains all cashiering and A/R documents in
compliance with PCI regulations. Responsible for securing and
locking up the office area at the end of the shift.
- Maintains work area in order and performs other duties as
- Trains temporary part-time and work study help.
- AA degree in accounting or related field or equivalent
- A minimum of one year of account analysis required.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and considerable cash
- Ability to follow directions and perform complex mathematical
- Ability to take initiative to locate and resolve problems.
- Ability to interact tactfully and deal courteously and
effectively with others. Strong customer service skills and
- Ability to use computerized cashiering system as well as
familiarity with windows environment.
- Ability to operate routine accounting machines such as
calculator, cash register, credit card terminal and printer.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions
on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of
environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic
Highly stressful position due to high volume of work, cash
handling, accuracy, good work habits and dealing with college
community and outside agencies. Compliance with federal and
financial aid guidelines required.
Requires constant attention to the service at the cashiers'
windows, not allowing much time away from the service window,
especially at busy times. Breaks can often be limited.
Overtime required during busy periods. Flexibility in scheduling
required including daytime and evening hours.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday 10am to 6:30pm, Friday 8:30am to 5pm
*Hours Subject to Change
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: August 30, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension
System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which
requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a
7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do
not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension.
Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional
positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to
participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment
Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values
diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need
assistance with the job application process and/or with the
interview process. For confidential assistance with the job
application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources
HCC is interested in all qualified applicants who are eligible
to work in the United States. However, HCC will generally not
sponsor applicants for work visas. Due to our telework policy, only
employees living in states contiguous to Maryland are eligible for
telework and include Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC,
Pennsylvania. Candidates must live in the commutable area or
willing to relocate at their own expense if offered the position
because HCC does not offer relocation benefits.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on
completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter