The University of Maryland’s Office of Principal Gifts seeks an
experienced, innovative and strategic Development Writer to support
the university’s robust principal gifts fundraising efforts.
Principal Gifts to universities are transformative and create new
projects and programs. Strategies, proposals and other written
materials would have high visibility and be highly
individualized. In addition to writing proposals, pitch
documents, and donor communications the writer would be responsible
for specific engagement outreach briefings for the President and
Vice President of University Relations. This person should
demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative environment,
supporting development and other areas of University Relations to
create materials for presentations for principal gift donors and
prospects in identification, cultivation and solicitation
strategies. They will have the ability to manage a variety of
principal gift projects across all campus units that seek to raise
the philanthropic support of the university. They will develop and
manage the process for projects in support of these units. The
incumbent should have a general knowledge of fundraising
The Development Writer will work in collaboration with all
development units to create proposals, pitch documents, impact
statements, presentations, content, brochures, articles, giving
stories and more. They must possess journalistic writing skills,
including knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to
research and write compelling cases for support to be delivered to
principal gift donors and prospects. The ideal candidate will be
flexible and deadline-driven, with the ability to write
donor-facing materials while then working with a designer to bring
materials to life.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage, from concept to completion, written materials needed
for communication with principal gift donors and prospects.
- Work with designers, other writers in Strategic Communications
and the Office of Donor Relations and Stewardship to design and
produce principal donor communications pieces.
- Conduct research and interview staff to compose compelling copy
for individual proposals and other fundraising documents.
- Craft principal gift donor and prospect outreach communications
for the President, Vice President of University Relations and other
- Devise correspondence and talking points for use by
the VPUR with donor and high-level volunteer
Candidates must provide three writing samples that demonstrate
their previous relevant writing experience. Examples can include
(but are not limited to): proposals, case statements, formal
correspondence, fundraising emails, etc.
Education (include licenses, certifications,
Bachelor’s Degree required.
A minimum of five years of
experience in communications or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of development.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills and attention to
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be creative and work independently.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to quickly produce clear and concise documents for
internal and external publication.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook,
PowerPoint), Google Suite
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite preferred but not