Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry
- MassBay Community College
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 16, 2021
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Criminal Justice & Criminology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry
Department: Dean of Science and Engineering
Location: Wellesley Hills
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities, and to contribute to the region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for teaching and promoting success among a diverse student population. The candidate is expected to commit to excellence in teaching and learning, collaboration and professional development. Adjunct faculty are expected to deliver course materials in a learner-centered environment conductive to engaging students in the learning process. The faculty member in this position communicates consistently and effectively with students, faculty and administrators, and responds to communications within a 24 hour period of time. The faculty is responsible for managing this course through timely grading of assignments, providing substantial student feedback with assignments, and submission of clinical evaluations, attendance and grades.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work in collaboration with science department faculty to prepare syllabi and develop curricula in alignment with the department’s vision and needs;
- Meet students regularly at the posted class and laboratory times and teach undergraduate chemistry courses and laboratories using effective instructional strategies that promote student learning consistent with the division’s needs;
- Use appropriate assessment methods consistently and regularly to measure student understanding;
- Engage in professional development activities to maintain excellence in teaching and learning;
- Maintain excellent communication with students, department, and division staff throughout the semester;
- Submit midterm and final grade reports, attendance records, early alerts, and other reports pertaining to assigned courses by required due dates;
- Participate in appropriate laboratory safety training and follow laboratory safety guidelines and practices as directed by the Lab Manager or their designee;
- Carry out other related duties as assigned by the Dean consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Commitment to Equity:
- Support MassBay’s commitment to the Equity Agenda;
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and students on the College’s strategic initiatives dedicated to closing the equity gap related to student outcomes;
- Support MassBay’s commitment to being anti-racist; embracing a community free of bias and inequality;
- Contribute to discussion and review of applicable College policies with a critical lens toward diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Engage with the Office of Diversity on issues related to underserved student success;
- Further the examination of pertinent practices that are culturally responsive and reflective of inclusive perspectives;
- Engage in conversations with colleagues and students regarding best practices within the discipline or programmatic related to equity and inclusion.
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
Master’s degree in Chemistry or a closely related field with significant first-hand experience in a chemistry laboratory setting.
- Sensitivity and commitment to the goals of Affirmative Action and workforce diversity;
- Experience working in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with under served students;
- Interest in and availability to teach chemistry laboratory-based courses in Fall 2021 and beyond in a variety of modalities including fully in-person or hybrid/in-person courses;
- Demonstrated commitment to academic standards, student learning, and student support;
- Experience and training in online instruction.
Salary Range: Effective September 1, 2022, $1,291 - $1,561 per credit
Classification Type: DCE Adjunct Faculty
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
All MassBay Community College students, faculty, and staff are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Accordingly, initial employment is dependent upon receipt and verification of full vaccination status records; details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the hire and onboarding process.
Hiring is subject to state appropriation funding.
Final candidates are required to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org, (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert