The Department of Human Performance at West Virginia University is
seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Advising (Program
Coordinator). This position serves as the chief advising officer
and is responsible for leading the operations of the Advising Unit
of Professional and Undergraduate Programs from enrollment to
graduation. Supervises all advising activities. Serves as an
academic advisor for the various programs and as the liaison and
representative for the unit on various committees, all departments
and downtown offices such as the Registrar’s Office, CLASS and
others. This position is part of the leadership team and as such is
critical in strategic planning, decision-making and policy
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate
- Oversees daily activities of the unit. Delegates tasks that
arise as necessary.
- Serves as point of contact for issues and leads efforts to
problem solve student-related advising issues. Works with many
university departments to resolve system issues for DegreeWorks,
CPOS and other processes. Works with Professional Programs Chairs
and advisors to resolve students related advising, graduation and
- Responsible for keeping up-to-date on all advising/registration
procedures, curriculum changes and ensuring all staff and faculty
advisors are aware of changes.
- Initiates and completes the incorporation of new
policies/processes as dictated by the University and departments.
Creates procedures for these policies, provides training and
ensures that everything is implemented as necessary and according
- Manages unit procedure manual keeping everything up-to-date and
ensuring all staff are properly trained on all procedures.
- Supervises two employees.
- Responsible for dissemination of advising information/policies
to all faculty and professional advisors.
- Serves as academic advisor for select students and
- Creates matriculation plans in DegreeWorks.
- Responsible for approving transient course credit.
- Supervises the Mid-Year Academy process for Professional
- Reviews academic schedules of all student athletes in
Professional and Undergraduate programs for compliance with NCAA
- Works to resolve issues and submits official reports to the
Athletic Departments each semester. Must be well-versed in NCAA
compliance rules and regulations.
- Serves as overall coordinator of New Student Orientation for
all undergraduate programs under Professional Programs
- Plans and organizes all activities including registration
procedures, advising sessions, communication, and advising
- Responsible for the overall graduation certification of all
students under Professional Programs.
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of DegreeWorks
requirements in STAR. Works with the Registrar’s Office to ensure
that all updates to programs are accurately and timely reflected in
- Reviews academic records of graduating students ensuring that
all requirements have been met, approves any exceptions, and
presents certified students to the Chair for final sign off.
- Advises students on degree completion requirements, graduation
process and ensures that proper forms are completed and submitted
in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manages the Iserve system used for community and volunteer
service hours for graduation. Approves site settings, ensures all
requirements are met and makes decisions regarding appeals.
- Serves as the graduation liaison with the Registrar’s office
and as such prepares finalized WVU graduation paperwork and sign
off forms for Vice Dean and Registrar.
- Bachelor's degree in related field. Master’s Degree
- Three (3)Years – Higher education experience including academic
- Two (2) Years:
- Project Management/Planning
- Customer service experience
- Supervisory Experience
- Student Information System experience including BANNER
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. This person
represents several programs and the university and must be able to
establish rapport with several different groups including students,
parents, faculty, administrators and staff. Must be comfortable
with public speaking.
- Ability to work with and supervise all types of people in order
to ensure completion of work and provide good work environment.
Must work collaboratively with internal and external constituents.
Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Must exhibit professional behavior and demeanor at all
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage and complete multiple
tasks at the same time. This position encompasses several areas of
responsibility that all must be organized so that work can be
completed timely and accurately.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Ability to self-start and prioritize work. Must perform all
duties accurately and in a timely manner. Must learn quickly with
- Knowledge of STAR/BANNER including DegreeWorks, BDMS, Target
Valid driver's license
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless
endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most
passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits
for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our
students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best
out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university,
one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.