The Department of Public Policy (DPP) at the University of
Connecticut (UConn) is looking for a full-time Outreach Coordinator
to coordinate recruitment efforts and assist with related marketing
initiatives for the Department’s in-person and online
professional graduate and undergraduate academic programs. This
position is responsible for communicating with prospective students
on a daily basis, generating and following up on leads, and
maintaining prospect information in an admission database
tracking system. The Outreach Coordinator proactively
identifies prospective students and works with them throughout all
stages of the recruitment process from inquiry to application
submission. In addition, the Outreach Coordinator assists with
related marketing and communication campaigns. The position will be
based at the Hartford Campus but will require travel to Storrs
and other campuses, as well as other locations in-state and
out-of-state. Evening and weekend hours will also be required
in support of program activities and events.
The Department of Public Policy is home to a NASPAA-accredited
Master of Public Administration (MPA), a Master of Public Policy
(MPP), an online Graduate Program in Survey Research, an MPA
Fellows program (an executive MPA cohort), an undergraduate
Fast-Track (4+1) program and Public Policy minor, and four graduate
certificates in nonprofit management, public financial management,
survey research and leadership, and public management. DPP’s
programs are nationally ranked by the U.S. News and World Report as
45th among public affairs programs and 10th among public
finance and budgeting programs.
The Department of Public Policy is located on the new
state-of-the-art campus in Hartford, Connecticut’s capital city.
The University of Connecticut is a premier research institution,
designated as a Research University/Very High research activity by
the Carnegie Foundation. UConn is ranked 22nd by U.S. News
& World Report among national public universities in the United
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Admissions and Recruitment
- Develops and implements a recruitment plan and
helps the Department reach its annual recruitment goals for
each of its programs.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with prospective
students and leads generating entities through calls, emails,
meetings, and traditional mail as necessary.
- Enters lead information into Slate (or any other system as
decided by Department leadership) and maintains inquiry
- Initiates and maintains regular communication with
prospective students to provide a high level of customer service,
as the first point of contact, and counsels prospective students
throughout the application process.
- Organizes program visits and leads on-campus and
off-campus information sessions for prospective
- Plans, recruits attendees to and delivers virtual and in-person
admission information sessions and on-campus and off-campus events
to promote the Department’s programs.
- Seeks to recruit students through scheduled visits to internal
and external campuses, graduate fairs, and conferences.
- Works independently, but cooperates with a
high-functioning team to assist in the development of
recruitment and marketing strategies to attract and maintain a
talented and diverse student body.
Marketing and Communication
- Coordinates the digital marketing strategy on social media
and other outlets.
- Develops print, digital, and email campaigns, and web content
in conjunction with team members.
- Assists with marketing and publicity efforts such as updating
the program website and creating print and digital marketing
- Writes Department news stories and compiles the quarterly
Department electronic newsletter.
- Communicates with internal and external faculty, staff,
and administration to foster positive and successful working
relationships for the Department.
- Maintains and updates the Department’s alumni database and
connects prospective students with alumni.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs various other duties as needed, related to general
admission activities and other Department of Public Policy
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Two to three years of experience in admissions as
well as in marketing or graphic design; or in a related field.
- Demonstrated excellent creative graphics and written
and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and organizational
- Demonstrated excellent ability to work effectively with
faculty, staff, students, and administrators as well as external
agencies/groups and the public.
- Demonstrated excellent recruiting skills.
- Demonstrated experience taking initiative and exercising sound
judgment when making decisions and meeting deadlines.
- Proven experience working well as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to work evening and weekend hours on
occasion in support of the department and/or program
- Willingness and ability to travel in-state and out-of-state on
occasion in support of the department and/or program
- Master’s degree in public administration, public policy, higher
education administration, communication, marketing, or a related
- Demonstrated experience working in a higher education
environment providing outreach to prospective students
applying to programs.
- Demonstrated experience using Slate, or another student
recruitment/application CRM system.
- Demonstrated experience using digital marketing including
social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and
- Demonstrated experience with WordPress or a similar platform
for updating websites.
- Demonstrated experience using PeopleSoft or another student
- Demonstrated experience using virtual meeting platforms such as
Microsoft Teams, WebEx, or Zoom.
- Ability to engage, connect, and work with diverse student,
administrative, and faculty populations and provide a commitment to
the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational
This is a full-time, 12-month position based in Hartford,
CT. The University offers a competitive salary, and
outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition
waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff
Positions, Search #495518 to upload a resume, cover
letter, and contact information
for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the
successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m.
Eastern time on September 10, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of
Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and
supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students,
faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff
continues to increase, as does the number of honors students,
valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their
top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the
University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions,
leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research
universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to
fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse
University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment
Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women,
veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally