Gardner-Webb University seeks an experienced, energetic, and
visionary Director of Athletic Bands to build our new Marching Band
program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
coordinating the successful recruitment of prospective students,
academic support, skill instruction, practice and performance
planning and execution, and the primary supervision of the
program. The Director will report to the Dean of the College
of Arts and Sciences.
The general duties of the Director of Athletic Bands include the
- Provide instructional leadership and skill development during
rehearsals and performances. The Director will grow ensemble
enrollment through focused recruitment methods including scouting,
social media outreach, event planning, and maintaining effective
communication with prospective students and music teachers.
- Additional duties include but are not limited to one-on-one
instruction, ensemble instruction including conducting, event
management, organizing group travel, equipment inventory
supervision, developing alumni contacts, promoting fund-raising
initiatives, budget planning and oversight, and administrative
responsibilities with large group events including summer music
camps, music festivals, and marching competitions. May include
additional responsibilities related to student advising and
- Direct and grow exceptional Marching Band, which meets annually
established goals in a manner that promotes a bond among members
and ensures compliance with all institutional rules and
- Develop quality Pep Band unit for basketball and other
- Recruit outstanding students to participate in the band
programs that fit the academic profile of the institution and are
good citizens on campus and in the community.
- Enthusiastically promote Gardner-Webb University academic and
athletic programs to potential students, parents, guidance
counselors and media. Ensure that students associated with the band
program are eligible under institutional regulations.
- Effectively prepare, submit, and oversee sound budgets. Ensure
expenditures remain within budgets.
- Work cooperatively with the athletic administrative team to
ensure that equipment and facilities are scheduled appropriately to
ensure smooth practices and exciting home events.
- Promote public awareness of Gardner-Webb University, its Band
program, athletics, and academics, with emphasis on public
relations. Participate enthusiastically in fundraising
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in wind conducting or music education,
- Three years of experience producing successful marching band
performances at the high school or university level
- Ability to teach, develop instructional activities, and direct
- Experience with the creative design components of marching band
(drill design, arranging, color guard and/or choreography,
- Ability to carry out assignments in a prompt and timely
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with
students, faculty, staff, administration, admissions, alumni,
parents and community members in providing a s strong
- Experience with community engagement and working successfully
with various constituency groups
- Experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and
supporting students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to actively foster a respectful, positive work
environment that welcomes all persons.
- Ability to identify and recruit outstanding students.
This position is subject to the completion of a criminal
Gardner-Webb University is a coeducational, residential, private
Christian institution, located in Boiling Springs, North Carolina
with easy access to Charlotte, Asheville, and
Greenville-Spartanburg. The University offers 60+ undergraduate and
graduate degree programs to approximately 3,500 students. Salary
and benefits are competitive with institutions of similar size and
Candidates should send application information and must include
a letter of interest addressing qualifications, curriculum vitae,
and the names and full contact information of three (3) references
to: Dr. Bruce Boyles, Associate Provost, Search Committee Chair at
subject line should read: Director of Athletic Bands.
Review of complete employment applications will begin September
7, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Appointment may
be for spring or summer 2022 depending on the availability of the
preferred candidate. Position will remain open until filled.
Founded by North Carolina Baptists in 1905, Gardner-Webb
University employs individuals who participate in and
wholeheartedly support Christian values.
Gardner-Webb University has a strong institutional commitment to
the achievement of diversity within its faculty, staff, and