Summary of the Job:
Instructor works under the direction of the Dean, School of
Nursing. Teaching theory and practical applications using
instructional methods and teaching skills in the classroom,
curriculum, laboratory, or program related training; tracking
student attendance and progress; setting educational objectives for
the students; continuing curriculum development to strengthen the
curricula/courses taught; on-going mentoring students; retention;
attentive to the advanced needs of our students; obligated to
continued self-improvement; and maintaining a satisfactory working
relationship with our students, faculty, and staff.
Participate in training, preparation, and continuing education in
instructional methods and teaching skills for residential and/or
position requires physical onsite instruction and will not be
Outside of Class Time:
- Classroom Instruction.
- Teaches course work as it applies to the appropriate
- Uses additional instructional resources such as guest speakers,
field trips, films, and handouts to enhance the learning
- Holds conferences with students on an as needed basis.
- Maintains classroom in good physical order.
- Enters classroom at designated time with all necessary
materials. Begins and ends class on time.
- Prepares lesson plans, handouts, and other curriculum-related
- Writes progress reports.
- Promptly records student conferences on C&I forms.
- Works additional time weekly, as required, for individual
student needs outside the classroom.
- Corrects students’ assignments and tests and returns them
- Requisitions supplies and forms, from proper source, and stores
them in proper location.
- Attends formal and informal staff and faculty meetings.
- Informs supervisor of unsatisfactory academic progress,
discipline or attitude problems, and occurrences that warrant
- Calls absent students for follow-up on assignments and
- Works as a part of the academic team to improve student
attendance, retention, and graduation rate
- Actively participates to promote student retention.
- Knowledge of material that will be taught to students.
- Ability to communicate and impart knowledge to others.
- Remains current with industry standards for the assigned
- All full-time faculty will be required to participate in the
University commencement ceremonies, to include wearing regalia from
the college/university of which the degree was received.
(Twice yearly-Spring and Fall)
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Actively participate in Student Mentor program
- Professional Affiliations are suggested as they relate to the
program content area.
- Must participate in the Hallmark Character program.
Qualifications And Experience:
- Leadership, time management, planning and teamwork skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills
- Knowledge, skills and abilities as they apply to courses
certified to instruct.
- Master’s degree in nursing and a current license to practice as
a registered nurse in the State of Texas.
- May hold a master’s degree in another field, with a bachelor’s
degree in Nursing and at least six graduate semester hours in
nursing appropriate to assigned teaching responsibilities.
- Two years of clinical experience appropriate to the specialized