The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for planning,
organizing, implementing and evaluating a strategic annual giving
program that fosters a culture of philanthropy at Samuel Merritt
University. The Director leads a comprehensive program that strives
to develop and grow a philanthropic connection with alumni,
parents, employees, students, and friends. The Director leads and
manages a multi-channel, data-driven approach that includes mail,
email, Day of Giving, student campaigns, reunion giving and college
and alumni specific funds.
- Lead all aspects of the Annual Giving Program with particular
emphasis on achieving annual fundraising goals, increasing alumni
participation, implementing a reunion giving program and
facilitating pipeline development.
- Establish a multi-channel marketing and outreach program to
acquire, retain, and upgrade annual donors with a focus on
expanding our base of support, growing retention rates, and
expanding the pipeline of major donors.
- Design and create annual giving reports to assess trends and
drive strategic planning of fundraising efforts.
- Develop strong collaborations across schools, units and
programs to deploy resources in innovative results-oriented ways
that grow annual support and engage more constituents.
- Develop and implement solicitation strategies for the SMU
- Build on the success of the University’s annual day of giving,
Give SMU Days.
- Manage department budget and approved budget expenditures.
- Bachelors degree.
- Five (5) years of work experience in fundraising.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and able to participate in
a complex development
- Experience with integration of the annual fund into an
organizations greater fundraising goals and ability to be flexible
in working independently as well as collaboratively with University
Development, academic faculty and staff to define and achieve goals
for each unit.
- Strategic execution and management of an annual giving program
including strategies to incorporate reunion, employee, parent and
- Experience guiding e-campaigns, giving societies, improving
donor retention and acquisition, and developing strategies to
increase average gift amounts.
- Understanding and appreciation for the mission of a
comprehensive health sciences university.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of
a team and to work collaboratively with others to achieve
- Self-starter who is energized by developing new or growing
emerging fundraising initiatives
- Outstanding writing and communication skills
- Knowledge and expertise or Raiser’s Edge fundraising software
or similar software
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with
diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and
enhance diversity and inclusion.