With approximately 2,500 students passing through its doors every
week, the Peabody Preparatory is Baltimore’s premier community
school for the performing arts. It is open to students of all ages
and levels of ability with offerings ranging from early childhood
classes to program for adults and professional musicians.
The Sr. Chair for Dance Position Reports to:
Director of the Preparatory
Classification: Faculty administrative role with 12 hours of
administrative responsibility. The position does not include
teaching responsibilities; however, the successful candidate may be
considered for future teaching opportunities.
The Sr. Chair for Dance will be responsible for the strategic
development and oversight of Peabody Preparatory's Dance program,
which currently represents over 500 students and provides
comprehensive dance education to students with a broad range of
abilities, backgrounds, and ages; and provides oversight and
supervision for this program. In addition, the Sr. Chair for Dance
will be responsible for identifying and spearheading the
development of new dance opportunities to grow the Preparatory's
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of dance faculty
in collaboration with leadership and HR.
- Mentor, supervise, and manage all dance program faculty.
- Oversee faculty evaluation program for dance.
- Oversee department hiring committees, as needed, to ensure JHU
hiring policies and procedures are followed and to ensure a diverse
candidate pool. Prepare candidate lists for the Director of the
Preparatory for approval.
- Mentor and supervise the onboarding of all new dance faculty,
coordinators, and dance administrative staff.
- Identify and hire substitutes, coaches, and clinicians, as
- Supported by the Director of the Preparatory and JHU, as
needed, manage and work to resolve any area faculty issues that may
develop throughout the year.
- Coordinate area Coordinator meetings, events, and professional
- Supervise and oversee the creation and revision, as needed, of
curricula to ensure a comprehensive educational strategy within
each program with a focus on diversifying the curriculum.
- Approves music and choreography selections for dance
Students & Families
- Oversee the recruitment and retention of students for the dance
department, including recruitment, auditions, placements, and
- Working with the Director of the Preparatory, campus staff, and
marketing, create a comprehensive marketing strategy for dance
youth and adult student recruitment and retention.
- Working with the Preparatory Education Manager and marketing,
coordinate the creation of content for course catalog, area
publications, and web pages serving as an approver for all dance
- Work with parent organizations and work to create an
overarching parent advisory organization for the dance
- Attend and support, as needed, retreats, performances, and
- Supported by the Director of the Preparatory and JHU, as
needed, manage and work to resolve any area student or parent
issues that may develop throughout the year.
- Work with Director of the Preparatory and campuses on strategic
plans for dance expansion, including developing adult-focused
programs and genre expansion.
- Supervises Dance Administrative Assistant.
- Oversee dance enrollments and class details in ASAP, Peabody's
online registration system.
- Working with the Business Office and Department Chairs,
determine the course of action for under-enrolled classes.
- Working with Preparatory Education Manager and Conservatory
Concert Office, plan and oversee the rehearsal and performance
- Approve additional external performances beyond the regular
- Work with the Director of the Preparatory to create and update
policies and procedures for all dance programs, as needed.
- Work with the Preparatory Education Manager on coordinating
schoolwide recitals and oversee area event scheduling to ensure
programs are equally represented.
- Serve on Peabody Preparatory's leadership team.
- Working with Director of the Preparatory and Business Office to
develop the departmental 5-year dance budget, including enrollment
projections and monitoring activity during the fiscal year.
- Oversee summer dance programs and work with the Business office
on individual program budgets, including enrollment
- Participate in periodic meetings with the Business Office and
the Director to review year-to-date results and projections.
- Bachelor's degree in dance or dance education is required.
Master's in dance or dance education, or arts or business
administration is preferred.
- Dance teaching experience is required.
- The candidate should have strong administrative experience
(supervisory experience in a music institution a plus) and be
committed to mentoring faculty and teaching students of all ages
with a broad range of abilities and backgrounds in private and
group class settings.
- Community arts school and youth dance company experience are
- Ability to work collegially but independently
- Ability to multi-task and think strategically
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution, and
- Possess a high comfort level with technology, ideally, with
extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite products; online
database management systems experience preferred.
Please apply at INTERFOLIO LINK. Applications received before
August 6th will be given preference. Applications should
- Cover letter including a statement of teaching philosophy
- Current résumé or CV
- You Tube link or links to 1-3 recordings (no more than 10
minutes total) of a recent performance or performances.
- You Tube link or link of your private or group class
*Please upload as an unlisted YouTube link or playlist and include
the link in your application.
The Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for
its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the university does
not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status,
pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age,
disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or other legally protected
characteristic. The university is committed to providing qualified
individuals access to all academic and employment programs,
benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability,
performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are
irrelevant to the program involved.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a
pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns
Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation
during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the
HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY
users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which
campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of
employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees
who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or
clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or
possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet
this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas,
laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving
community contact requires documentation of immune status against
Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella
(chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the
Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include
documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella
vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory
testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are
ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for
those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization
documentation from their own health care providers. Any
vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost
in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until
EEO is the Law
Important legal information