The Medical Education and Educational Research Institute ( MEERI )
encompasses services and programs that shape, support, and enhance
teaching and learning at the Jacobs School of Medicine and
Biomedical Sciences. To support these efforts along with our
evolving medical student curriculum, the Jacobs School of Medicine
and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo seeks to hire
a Director of Assessment.
The Director of Assessment will provide collaborative leadership in
developing, guiding and contributing to ongoing implementation of
learning assessment and program improvement for our undergraduate
medical education program. The Director of Assessment will ensure
that all assessments utilized for student development (formative)
or student assessment (summative, for grade) meet or exceed the
highest standards specified by the University, the National Board
of Medical Examiners, the American Educational Research
Association, and the American Psychological Association.
The successful candidate will also incorporate tracking of possible
inequity present in assessment methods/outcomes in order to develop
an assessment program that ensures equitable evaluation of
performance for all medical students.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as an assessment specialist by coaching faculty, staff,
and learners on appropriate implementation and use of assessment
tools and resources.
- Lead the curriculum team in assessment instrument development
including exam blueprints, standard setting, observation protocols,
scoring rubrics, questionnaires, surveys, etc.
- Collaboratively develop, review and refine formative and
summative assessments with faculty including longitudinal
assessments, OSCEs, and workplace-based assessments that align with
desired student outcomes.
- Work with the Office of Accreditation and Quality Improvement (
OAQI ) and the Office of Medical Computing to design and maintain
databases with assessment data, analyze assessments as part of a
continuous quality improvement process, and provide specific
feedback to faculty regarding their assessments.
- Use performance metrics and analytics to ensure that evidence
supports assessment methodologies employed.
- Collaborate with the faculty and staff of the Offices of
Medical Education in research projects focusing on the education of
Salary Range: $85,000 – $90,000.
This position is funded through the UB Foundation and follows UB
Foundation benefit offerings.
- 3-5 years of related experience in assessment development and
delivery preferably in academic/medical institutions
- Previous experience as an internal change agent within an
organization, preferably a medical education organization
- Expert knowledge in the areas of educational and psychological
learning and measurement theory, applied psychometric theory,
individual and organizational evaluation methods and practice,
professional guidelines and practices
- Theoretical training must be accompanied by experience applying
models of evaluation into education (preferred application in
health professions education, e.g. medical education, surgical
education, nursing education etc.)
- Experience in developing, implementing, and analyzing
assessments for competency-based education
- Must have experience working with academic leadership as
evidenced by work on academic committees either as a faculty member
- Ability to work effectively both in a team environment and
- Expertise in PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and online searches
including the use of various academic databases
- Strong analytical and data manipulation skills. Use of
technology for collection, analysis, and reporting of data;
familiarity with EXCEL is essential and JMP, SPSS or other
statistical software packages, expertise is an advantage
- An excellent track record showcasing a high level of
organization, attention to detail and follow-through as well as an
ability to consistently meet stated deadlines
- Excellent communication (interpersonal, written, verbal, team
- Experience in health professions education or related
- Ph.D, or Ed.D strongly preferred with focus in
educational or psychological measurement preferred
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.