Responsible for providing landscaping services for the
Employees are expected to use equipment per manufacturer and
University standards, operate tractors and hand tools safely, and
comply with University and OSHA policies and regulations.
Essential Job Functions of Position
New employees are required to complete safety training within six
months of employment.
Work assignments for this position may include any or all of the
following plus other duties as assigned.
• Irrigate, fertilize, prune, spray, weed flower bed, rake, and
ornamental mulch vegetation
• Plant and cultivate trees and nursery stock according to
• Spray flower beds, lawns, and trees for weed and insect
• Grade and backfill trenches and holes
• Maintain water features and ponds, treating water as
• Operate grounds equipment
• Snow removal duties as assigned
• Provide service support for campus events
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• Stable/Continuous work history
• Experience in landscaping, horticultural, or a related
• Experience in horticultural chemical application
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the appropriate use of lawn and landscape
• Knowledge of the practices followed in the care, routine
maintenance, and safe operation of trucks, tractors, mowers, and
other light to heavy-duty equipment
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Ability to understand water treatment for water features and
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape
• Knowledge of the installation and maintenance of lawn sprinkler
• Ability to prepare plans, specifications, and estimates for less
complex landscaping projects
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record under
Preferred: State certification in pesticide application, or ability
to obtain certification within one year
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
• Required to work in extreme weather conditions and be exposed to
chemicals used in landscaping
• Ability to lift, move and maneuver materials weighing as much as
• Ability to work from a ladder or lift
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Monday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Tuesday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Wednesday
- 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Thursday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Friday - 8:00 am
- 4:30 pm
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching
focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the
diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates
who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that
fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and
we encourage applications from members of groups that have been
historically underrepresented in higher education. Application
materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will
contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and
inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal
access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national
origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required DocumentsOptional Documents
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have a valid driver's license? (A valid license is
required for this position and a motor vehicle report will be
conducted to verify the validity of your license.)
- Are you available to work weekends?
- * Are you able to work outdoors in a variety of climate
- * Do you have the ability to work from a ladder and/or a lift?
- * Are you capable of lifting and maneuvering materials weighing
as much as 80 pounds?