Director of Social Media
Attention Current Willamette University Employees:
to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log
into your Workday account and apply through the Career
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please
complete our online employment application. Your application and
all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page --
must be submitted for each individual job post that you are
interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline,
please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline.
Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your
The Director of Digital Communications is responsible for
Willamette University's social media and internal communications.
This position executes the most effective ways for the university
to advance its institutional marketing and communications goals.
The director is the primary person responsible for advancing the
university's strategic objectives on social media and to internal
audiences. The successful candidate will be a collaborative and
agile leader, a strong content producer with a broad understanding
of customer care, highly organized, and an expert when it comes to
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Writes and edits platform/channel-appropriate content,
including the writing and production of social stories, videos,
photo essays, takeovers and more.
- Attends campus events to capture daily life and or special
milestone events to produce live social media content.
- Coordinates content such as announcements, news, and events
from campus partners.
- Responsible for ownership, publishing and daily management of
multiple current and future social media channels.
- Curates the daily campus bulletin, Today at
- Increases active engagement with Willamette University's
prospective and current students, donors, alumni, faculty, staff,
board members and community members.
- Increases and optimizes the flow of traffic to the university's
website and social media platforms.
- Responds to comments and feedback to create a positive brand
experience for strong engagement.
- Manages a social media calendar, bringing both strong editorial
judgment and a fluent understanding of multimedia
- Continually assesses emerging technologies, trends, and new
ways of telling the university's story.
- Analyze reach and engagement metrics to continually improve the
university's social media and internal communications.
- Collaborate with other teams to define, launch, and manage
integrated communications campaigns.
- Maintain unified and consistent brand voice and guidelines
across all channels.
- Supervises 1 to 3 student employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a
combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong editorial, writing, presentation, and storytelling
skills, including excellent social media management
- Strong oral communication skills and a sophisticated
understanding of what should be communicated to different
- Ability to interact effectively with staff and members of the
- Knowledge of the web, technology, social platforms, current and
- Experience with project management and the ability to manage
multiple projects simultaneously and on a daily basis.
Typical Work Schedule
- Experience working in higher education.
- Photography and/or videography expertise is strongly
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm with some nights/weekends when covering
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
Typical work is performed indoors in a normal office environment
with intermittent time outside of the office creating content for
Salary Range: $70,000 to $75,000
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received
until the position is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a
criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not
automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of
conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your
application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Director-of-Digital-Communications_R0003729
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and
to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting
and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek
candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented
groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus
varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
- List of 3 references