The Campus Controller's Office (CCO) at CU Boulder
encourages applications for an Accountant!
position exists to provide accounting expertise, internal controls,
guidance and interpretation of CU’s fiscal policies and procedures,
and post-audit financial transaction management. The Accountant is
responsible for assigned CU Boulder departments and serves the
campus needs by properly recording, classifying, reconciling,
correcting and querying transactions. This position also provides
various trainings throughout the year to assist and mentor campus
users on proper policies, procedures, financial systems, and other
topics of interest.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
CCO maintains and supports the university's fiscal responsibility
through accurate financial accounting and reporting and in
compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures and contract
requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight,
assistance and training in financial stewardship for the Boulder
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Accounting Excellence (identifying, improving, maintaining
processes, including metrics):
University Engagement (engaging with and training campus
- Understand and review campus departmental operations to ensure
that they are in the compliance with applicable accounting and
- Develop sound campus business management accounting practices
by examining State, campus management, and campus departmental
- Prepare weekly, quarterly, and year-end journal entries in
Excel and uploads journal entries into the PeopleSoft finance
system for review and approval.
- Create and assure accuracy of year-end financial statements,
related footnotes, and work papers for audit and publication for
the General, Auxiliary, Agency, Gift, and Loan by developing,
reviewing, compiling, comparing, analyzing and interpreting
accounting system sources and generated documents for correctness,
comparability, and appropriateness.
- Direct and oversee Boulder campus financial transactions in the
General, Auxiliary, Agency, Gift, Loan, and Renewal &
Replacement. Also controls and detects irregularities or unusual
developments; assesses potential impact on campus financial
reporting and recommends proper accounting treatments by:
- Interpret, and apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles,
Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards, National
Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
standards, Colorado Higher Education Standards, State Fiscal Rules,
Colorado Department of Administration (DOA) Rules, TABOR (Amendment
1) Guidelines, University of Colorado Policies and Procedures, and
Financial Reporting System guidelines.
- Perform post-auditing through exception reports including
abnormal balances, unchanged balances, suspended accounts
activities, cash deficit controls, budget deficits controls,
recharge activity review, use of ID rev/exp review, and other
exception as vital. Assures campus user compliance with above by
instructing and advising correct application and practice of these
principles and standards.
- Develop and produce, as needed, monthly and quarterly General,
Auxiliary, Gift, Agency, Loan, Renewal & Replacement reports
and variance analyses for Office of State Controller, Office of
University Controller, UCB – Budget and Fiscal Planning (BFP), and
campus management by compiling, analyzing, and interpreting finance
system data, COFRS data, and system-generated documents and
discussing fund activities with campus departmental users for
- Follow-up reviews on internal audit reports and reports the
current status of management actions on internal audit findings to
- Perform credit card business practice evaluations and makes
appropriate recommendations on the creation of credit card
- Other duties as assigned.
People Development (developing, retaining, recognizing our
- Provide, coordinate, and plan for consulting, training,
advising, coaching, and mentoring services to campus personnel on
the identification and investigation of current accounting issues;
the development of accounting methods and business processes; the
implementation of accounting related projects; the design of
customized managerial reports; the preparation of service center
rate calculations; and the facilitation of accounting opportunities
- Develop, design, and implement optimum training and customer
- Provide, coordinate, and plan for training campus personnel on
the use of the PeopleSoft system.
- Discuss fund activities with campus users, and serves as
liaison between campus user departments and State audit staff,
University System Administration, and Campus management.
- Service as the financial specialist for assigned CU Boulder
Infrastructure Enhancement (technology requirements, system
upgrades and brand identity):
- Seek opportunities for professional development and training
- Provide suggestions for growth and development of the area
accounting area and CCO.
What You Should Know
- Assist with training and implementation of system upgrades,
such as PeopleSoft or Cognos.
- Identify areas to improve service excellence to campus
All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply
with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
. New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
What We Can Offer
- The salary for this position is $52,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
experience may substitute.
- 1+ years of professional, job related experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Sophisticated Microsoft Access and Excel skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record as a problem solver.
- Proven customer service orientation.
- Proven public presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work with a wide range of people.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with
a major in Accounting or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, University and state accounting
and fiscal rules.
- Experience and knowledge of governmental or higher education
- Solid understanding of PeopleSoft or related enterprise
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by November 14, 2021, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: