Director Office of Research Partnerships
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is seeking
applications for the Director Office of Research Partnerships for
the Research and Economic Development Department. This is a
full-time, permanent staff position.
Purpose of the Position: This position will
direct and oversee activities directed at fostering and supporting
the creation and growth of strategic relationships with industry,
non-profit, and government partners. Leads a team of liaisons
that help industries and organizations connect to campus resources
and services and developing and brokering research partnership
agreements, including industry-sponsored research contracts and
Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Research
Partnerships. Works directly with college leadership, center
directors, and faculty to identify, create, and sustain partnership
networks and strategic regional, national, and international
- Create a vision and strategy for building meaningful and
productive relationships and partnerships with industry,
government, and private foundations that support research.
- Develop systems and procedures in support of the identification
and development of strategic partnerships.
- Coordinate the management of ongoing relationships with
existing partners and leverage those relationships for greater
impact and mutual benefit.
- Develop, implement, and manage partnership agreements with
federal, state, public, and private sector organizations.
- Develop and manage reporting and financial tracking of
strategic partnership activities.
- Assist with oversight of campus Industry-University Cooperative
Research Centers (IUCRC).
- Oversee and manage marketing efforts for ORP and key
facilities, including PORTAL and the 100,000 sq. ft. of laboratory
and office space available to businesses, industry, and government
partners seeking to locate on campus.
- Work with the Director of Ventureprise to promote, grow, and
sustain the innovation and startup ecosystem of the Charlotte
- Build teams for interdisciplinary research that are relevant
and attractive to industries and are aligned with UNC Charlotte’s
research capabilities and strategic priorities.
- Utilize data analytics and business intelligence tools to
identify potential collaborations and partnership opportunities and
to gauge and monitor progress toward the university’s research
- Develop and track key metrics of business development efforts
and strategic partnership activities.
- Identify and implement improvements to increase the office’s
effectiveness and efficiency, while enhancing partner
- Implement and execute partnership-related workshops, events,
and community-building programs.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s Degree with a
minimum of five years in research and/or business development.
- An advanced degree in any technical field with at least 10
years of experience with progressive leadership responsibility in
research development and support at a major research organization
- Proven ability to identify and develop strategic partnerships
and collaborative research agreements that lead to increased
funding and support from private and public sector entities.
- Experience in working in a non-academic setting, including
industry, national laboratories, military, or government research
- Established professional network and experience engaging with
technical organizations, professional societies, and economic
- Demonstrated success with reaching-out to new organizations
(government, university, and/or industry) to explore and establish
collaborations and partnering opportunities.
- Outstanding organizational and administrative skills and a
demonstrated ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-driven
- Demonstrated project management and team management
- Expert knowledge of industry and private/public partnerships,
technology transfer and commercialization, and business
- Experience with leading effective promotional campaigns and
working with internal and external constituents and the
- Comprehensive knowledge of communications and marketing and
techniques to develop and execute promotional strategies and
- Demonstrated drive and ability to solve complex problems and
lead with a positive attitude.
- Experience with developing and executing strategic plans and
initiatives for academic, nonprofit, government entities or similar
- Strong relationship building skills and a proven ability to
negotiate and work with high-level executives.
- Demonstrated ability plan and coordinate events and develop
programs that promote community development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and
demonstrated ability to communicate complex, technical content with
a scientific and technical audience.
- Always conducts himself/herself at the highest levels of
personal and professional integrity and ethical standards.
Salary and benefits are competitive; interested individuals
should apply on-line at https://jobs.uncc.edu. Search for job #
000054. Applicants are subject to background checks.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and an ADVANCE
Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the
dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained. Women,
minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are
encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, gender
identity or sexual orientation.