The University of Colorado Boulder Athletics department encourages
applications for an Associate Athletic Director for
This promotion will manage the day-to-day operations
of the unit and be under the direct supervision of the Senior
Associate Athletic Director for External Operations. This position
will be responsible for the marketing plan development and
implementation for multiple sports programs – including Football
and Men’s Basketball – with a key focus on maximizing ticket
revenue and growing fan attendance; Lead all aspects of game day
operations and in-game entertainment; Lead creation and strategic
placement of all traditional marketing including radio, television,
billboards, website and direct mail; Develop digital marketing and
social media advertising strategies across campaigns with an
emphasis on revenue generation and brand awareness; Drive creative
campaigns based on consumer and market insights that improve the
University of Colorado Athletics brand and generate new revenue
opportunities; Ensure consistency in execution of marketing
initiatives – across various sport programs and consumer touch
points; Collaborate with the ticket operations and sales and
database marketing team to develop pricing strategies and packages,
ticket sales campaigns and identify new prospects; Collaborate with
data analyst to make data informed decisions utilizing advertising
analytics and implement marketing automation campaigns; Coordinate
and strategize all media partner trade contracts; Manage unit
budget, placing an emphasis on return on investment; Direct all
on-campus marketing initiatives and relationships. Serve on various
campus committees and contribute accordingly. Additional
responsibilities include: Direct oversight of Director for
Marketing & Fan Experience, Assistant Director of Marketing
& Fan Experience, and Creative Director; Serve as athletic
department liaison to the CU Band.
This position is responsible for promoting the philosophy and
objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program. This shall
include adhering to the principles of the Athletic Department’s
Mission Statement, Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement, Core
Values, Policies and Procedures, as well as the rules and
regulations of the University, the Pac-12 Conference and the
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
As one of 34 U.S. public research institutions belonging to the
prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)—and the only
member in the Rocky Mountain region—our goal at CU Boulder is to
directly affect Colorado communities through collaborative
research, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Our faculty, staff, and
students work with the broader community to establish outstanding
connections that have lasting outcomes—both across Colorado and
around the world.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Lead the Athletics Marketing and Promotions Department
Marketing initiatives that target general public (donors &
non-donors) and students. Manage the marketing operating budget for
marketing and promotions.
- Develop and implement an aggressive marketing, advertising, and
promotion plan for all areas of supervision with a focus on growing
revenue, fan attendance, in-game and pre-game experiences, and
- Collaborate with marketing rights holder, ticketing, athletics
development office, community outreach, video department, digital,
social, spirit squad and athletics communications office on
branding, revenue and messaging.
- Interact and cultivate positive relationships with various
campus and community constituents through partnerships, promotions
- Assist in special projects related to the athletic department
and support marketing and promotions efforts for all sports.
Understanding and compliance of NCAA and University of Colorado
rules and policies.
- Marketing & Promotions, Creative/Graphic Design Staff,
Digital Advertising and Ticket Sales Campaigns. Hire, train and
supervise a staff of 4 full time employees, 2 nine-month Graduate
Assistants and 14 student interns.
- Collaborate with digital communications on strategy, ticket
sales, ticket operations and to increase ticket sales.
- Manage print, TV, and radio commercials, outdoor, digital
advertisements, e-mail, promotional giveaways and direct mail
campaigns from concept through creative development, execution and
- Support the production of graphics and other creative content
needed to conduct advertising/sales campaigns and to drive fan
excitement for Colorado Athletics.
- Collaborate with ticket operations and sales teams on
developing strategies to maximize revenue through ticket sales and
enhanced customer service.
- Focus sales efforts by studying existing and potential volume,
developing and implementing season ticket, group, and individual
game day sales. Coordinate all aspects of football marketing
including ticket promotions, advertising, group sales, and gameday
management. Serve as liaison for all third-party vendors, MOGO,
Tops of Rockies, etc.
What We Can Offer
- In-game entertainment and promotions, including script writing,
on-field appearances, special performances, video board production,
coordination of spirit squad performances and cheer, sponsor
activation and on court promotions. Collaborate with the Multi
Media Right partner, ensuring marketing commitments are fulfilled
by reviewing marketing/advertising agreements for fulfillment.
- Work with student sections for all ticketed sports and
collaborate with leadership team on policies, tickets sales,
on-campus marketing and advertising, game atmosphere, special
events, research and communication strategies. Serve as the liaison
to the Band.
- The salary range is $80,000- $95,000 annually.
- Additional Compensation Details: Relocation is available within
department guidelines. Additional Athletics benefits include:
Athletic Event Tickets: Per Athletic Department Policy and NCAA
regulations, Nike Elite Employee Benefit: Per Nike Elite
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be Empowered. Be Groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's Degree in Sports Marketing/Administration or
- Five years of collegiate or professional sports
promotional/marketing experience. Equivalent combination of
education and experience may substitute.
- In addition to regular office hours, this position is required
to be available to work all athletic events (nights, weekends and
What We Would Like You To Have
- Knowledge of managing game day operations.
- Digital literacy including experience in desktop publishing
(PageMaker, PhotoShop, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, judgment, initiative and
attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks, meet due dates, plan
schedules and coordinate events.
- Ability to assign, review and schedule work.
- Ability to manage budget, broker with sponsors and multi-media
- Masters Degree in Sports Marketing/Administration or applicable
- Three years experience in managing game day events.
- Experience in fulfillment of corporate sponsorship.
- Experience developing and implementing promotional activities
- Experience in creating, preparing and tracking
- Experience managing and leading teams.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 8, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: