Assistant/Associate Professor of Kinesiology (Athletic
Assistant or Associate Professor
Commensurate with education and experience.
Full-Time Tenure Track
College of Health Sciences
Dept of Kinesiology
Assistant to the Chair
Huntsville, TX 77341
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
The Department of Kinesiology at Sam Houston State University (
SHSU ) invites applications from a diverse group of qualified
applicants for a Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor
position in Athletic Training. The duties and responsibilities of
this position include primary teaching responsibilities within the
Master of Science in Athletic Training ( MSAT ) Program,
maintaining a research agenda in Athletic Training, mentoring
students, performing university and professional service, and
contributing to ongoing program evaluation and improvement.
Teaching assignments may include undergraduate and graduate
The Department of Kinesiology at SHSU seeks to recruit and retain a
diverse faculty. Qualified applicants with experience in diverse
settings and/or who demonstrate a commitment to serving diverse
student populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Educational Requirements for the Position
Earned Doctorate in Athletic Training or related discipline from an
Experience Required for the Position
- Certified Athletic Trainer in good standing with the BOC
- Texas Licensed Athletic Trainer or eligible
- A demonstrated record of teaching in Athletic Training,
scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank
of Assistant Professor. For rank of Associate Professor, a
demonstrated record of high-quality teaching and evidence of
referred scholarship (peer-reviewed publications) is required.
Other Requirements for the Position
- Use of technology in instruction, and experience with
distance/online education is preferred.
- Three or more years of clinical practice experience
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations is
- Experience teaching in a CAATE accredited program
- Experience implementing the CAATE 2020 Standards into graduate
level courses preferred.
- Contemporary expertise in prevention and wellness, primary
care, rehabilitation, behavioral health, or pediatrics (per CAATE
- Experience mentoring students with scholarship/research
Special Instructions Summary
Interested candidates should submit the following required
- Cover letter detailing candidate’s interest in the position,
teaching experience in Athletic Training, and research agenda; it
is also recommended that a candidate address any experiences
related to the preferred criteria listed in the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three professional
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2021.
Open Until Filled
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free
Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status,
citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran
status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender
identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at
will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional
terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require
background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn about this position?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- HBCU Connect - Historically Black Colleges and
- HACU - Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Association for Women in Science
- TWC - Work in Texas
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- SHSU Website
- SHSU Employee
- If your response to the question above was 'Other' please
indicate from what source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (Faculty)
- Reference Contact Information
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3