The West Virginia University Office of Health Affairs is seeking
applications for a Program Director (Research Associate) located in
Morgantown, WV. The Program Director will be a key participant in
the emerging State-University partnership between the West Virginia
University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department
of Health and Human Resources. Overarching responsibilities include
working with the state to leverage their data and support analytic
and policy needs, conducting relevant policy and evaluation
research, participating in interdisciplinary research and
evaluation teams, and providing oversight and support to other data
analysts and personnel embedded within the Department for Health
and Human Resources.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate
- Serve as a University representative and liaison to the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning
and performance of projects, programs and activities involving
health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
- Facilitates communication and efficient collaboration between
research partners at the West Virginia University Health Sciences
Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and
- Oversee and conduct analyses of Medicaid claims data using SAS
and other statistical analysis packages at the direction of the
West Virginia University Director of Medicaid Research and
Evaluation or leadership within the Department for Health and Human
- Support both West Virginia University faculty as well as
leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources in
using Medicaid claims data as well as other state data sources to
answer research questions of interest to the state
- Train other West Virginia University faculty in analyzing
Medicaid claims data and other state data sources using SAS or
other statistical analysis packages
- Ensure that data analytic and research/evaluation activities
are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible
conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
- Provides consultation to faculty and government partners
regarding preparation of research proposals, design and
methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
- Identify opportunities for potential collaborations between the
Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health
and Human Resources.
- Prepares reports as required by the University, the Health
Sciences Center administration, and external agencies. Communicates
results of analytic projects and program evaluations with relevant
staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human
- Conducts or directs special projects as assigned.
- Assist with the publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Work with the principal investigator to provide strategic
oversight for and direct the work of large, high-risk, and complex
state agency (DHHR) programs.
- Provides continuity with agencies at the state level, between
state and local levels and among local jurisdictions.
- Provides expert consultation to faculty and government partners
regarding state agency initiatives including program development,
implementation and evaluation work.
- Facilitates collaboration between the WVU program team and
program stakeholders by leveraging established contacts and
partnerships throughout the state.
- Prepares reports for DHHR state and federal partners on the
outcomes of program activities.
- Works closely with the Principal Investigator to develop
program plans, scopes of work (SOW) and budgets for subsequent
program phases. Plans programs from start to finish, including
identifying high-level activities, critical deadlines and
milestones as outlined in the development and management of project
workplans in collaboration with the Program Manager.
- Serves as the direct contact to all parties
- Oversees the monitoring of program milestones and provides
status reports in the selected format at the assigned interval
ensuring OHA leadership and program stakeholders are kept informed
- Directs the work of the project team and fosters a productive
and high-performing project team environment .
- Oversees the development and management of a comprehensive
communication plan that seeks to create and nurture effective
communication within the project team and with stakeholders.
- Leads large group discussions to facilitate decision making,
consensus building, and address stakeholder concerns, unless
otherwise directed by the Principal Investigator.
- Develops and manages program budget in collaboration with the
Principal Investigator to ensure that financial constraints are
met, and budgetary concerns addressed.
- Presents analysis and recommendation to the Principal
Investigator in an organized manner, including identifying
strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to evaluate
- Determines the most efficient and cost-effective means for
gathering and analyzing data needed to support development goals
and achieve growth through the accomplishment of long-range goals
- Drives strategic initiatives and manages internal and external
relationships to ensure commitments are met, deadlines are
realized, and expectations are managed appropriately. Manages
multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Maintains knowledge of professional principles, legal and/or
reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility, and
adheres to PDMO and OHA standards, processes and procedures.
- Oversees the ongoing monitoring of project progress as
performed by the Program Manager and consults with technical
experts to ensure project progress is on schedule as planned and
mitigates any project lag in the schedule by applying project
- Manages change to the project through a change management plan
and resolves all change requests for the project in accordance with
PDMO policies and procedures.
- Ensures all project documentation is complete and accurate and
deliverables are produced and submitted to exceed partner
expectations and in accordance with PDMO policies and
- PhD in health or data science-related field;
- Or equivalent amount of combined education and work
- Two (2) years experience:
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and
policy research (health services research, public health
informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by
publications and/ or sustained involvement in a research
- Experience conducting research/evaluation using large health
data sources within the healthcare industry or academic or
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health
databases for research, program evaluation and policy
- Experience analyzing Medicaid administrative claims data
- Extensive knowledge in the use of standard statistical analysis
packages such as SAS or R
- Experience designing and overseeing large research projects
using administrative claims data
- Record of successfully publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts in
the field of health services research
- Experience training and/or supervising other individuals in
using statistical analysis packages to analyze administrative
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of
research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse
groups of stakeholders
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.