The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB)
seeking a Director, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
in the newly created Office of the Vice
President/Chief Diversity Officer. The Office of the Vice
President/Chief Diversity Officer oversees and advances UMB’s
strategies for institutional equity, diversity, and inclusion and
promotes sustainable organizational change and
accountability. The Office provides direction, builds
capacity, develops partnerships and collaborations to facilitate
shared responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse, and
inclusive University and works to foster excellence and equity
across all dimensions of the academic mission and culture of
Under the direction of the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer
(VP), the Director will work on strategic equitable, diverse, and
inclusive initiatives and projects to ensure fair treatment and
equal opportunity within the University’s communities. This
position will work with the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer
to advance the Office’s priorities related to EDI strategic
planning, implementation, and accountability at UMB.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health
insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for
employees and their dependents at any of the University System of
The ideal candidate will personally connect with the
Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror
UMB’s core values: Accountability, Civility, Collaboration,
Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, Leadership, Communication, &
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and
students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical
or religious reasons will be processed through Human
- Provide high-level assistance and advice to the Vice
President/Chief Diversity Officer to develop strategies, programs,
initiatives, and assessment protocols to help the university
measure and achieve its Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI)
- Assist with strategic planning and fostering institutional
effectiveness, with a particular focus on EDI. Prepare
institutional data for high-level planning and assessment related
to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Produce outcome/impact reports for the university and other key
- Manage high-profile, on-going campus-wide projects that the EDI
- Provide oversight of areas outreach, affinity groups, and
delivery of programs and services with constituents and
- Conduct outreach, diversity landscape evaluation for
under-represented populations; work to create a more inclusive
environment; and develop and implement curriculum and presentations
designed to advance outcomes associated with UMB’s core
- Provide strategic guidance and learning to faculty, staff,
students, and academic and administrative departments on promoting
employee and student engagement, learning, development, and
- Advise and represent EDI Office and work with campus partners
in internal and grant activities relating to the advancing of the
- Cultivate partnerships with internal and external stakeholders,
professional associations to promote and highlight best practices,
and other efforts focused on advancing diversity and inclusion.
- Work with student, staff, and faculty workforce, and develop
best practices for engagement and retention.
- Continuously listen, work with constituents across campus in
the community, and globally to continually assess the diversity and
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as dissecting climate
surveys data and academic program data to increase student
retention, improve graduation rates, and faculty and staff
Bachelor's degree in relevant field such as Education,
Administrative Science, Law, Health or Policy, or a related EDI
field. Master's or Ph.D. degree preferred.
Seven (7) years spent progressively
building a background in equity, diversity, or inclusion,
organizational culture effectiveness, or leadership development,
preferably in an academic setting that includes at least five (5)
years of experience in workforce diversity, equity and inclusion,
equal employment opportunity, social justice, or related
Five (5) years of
managerial experience. Knowledge, Skills,
- Demonstrated problem solving, project planning and
- Experience in the design and implementation of organizational
and strategic plans that incorporate clear strategies that align
with institutional goals.
- Proven ability to research and prepare executive-level
documents, reports, and summaries.
- Proven ability to handle highly sensitive issues that require
sound judgment, strict discretion and confidentiality.
- Able to foster relationships with co-workers, university
stakeholders, and others to advance institutional equity,
diversity, and inclusion.
- Accomplish responsibilities by performing significant
managerial supporting EDI.
- Possess subject matter expertise in creating an EDI culture.
Achieve objectives through coordinated efforts of others, typically
by managing recruitment, engagement, performance, and development
- Develop, implement, and manage goals and outcomes.
- Participate in strategic planning.
- Determine and enforce processes, practices, and/or policies.
Manages operations, workflow, projects, and/or systems that have
strategic impact. Accountable for operational resources.
- Oversee overall direction of University EDI projects and
initiatives that have significant University impact as the
designated by VP.
- Oversee and execute strategic EDI goals that directly align
with University EDI strategy.
- Authority to make managerial conclusions, informing VP of
results. Provides transformational advice and support to leadership
on University long-term strategic vision. Decisions and quality of
execution have significant impact to the University.
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations,
and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written
thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to support a mission and strategic vision.
- Possess instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to
strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Skill in consultation and change management.
- Ability to demonstrate, comprehend, apply, and adhere to the
UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration,
Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Commensurate with education
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or
policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the
Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a
disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during
any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job
Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu
Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for
reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email