Assists the Director and Executive Director in the day-to-day
management of an aggressive, pro-active media public relations
program. Develops, reviews and edits communication materials prior
to release to the media.
- In collaboration with the Director and Executive Director,
participates in the development and implementation of strategic
communications and publicity plans for the university. Provides
guidance to colleges, departments, key stakeholders and university
leadership regarding media activities such as story pitches, op-ed
placement and distribution of news releases.
- Provides editorial guidance and edits for media relations
representatives and strengthens the team working environment.
- Writes, edits, and distributes news feature stories, op-eds and
other requested communication materials to ensure effective
coverage of university activities and initiatives. Manages assigned
media and public relations campaigns in assigned areas and produces
weekly, monthly reports to track campaign progress.
- Brings out-of-the box ideas for positive publicity and
placements, from ghost writing blogs and op-eds to polishing white
- Identifies and cultivates local, national and international
media contacts as part of a proactive strategy to aggressively
increase coverage of the university, its faculty and programs in
support of UH strategic initiatives.
- Supports and identifies faculty experts who will respond to
- Prepares stakeholders/university leadership for media
opportunities and/or other public speaking engagements by preparing
talking points, speeches, testimonies or other remarks.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Additional Job Posting Information
This position is specifically focused on advancing the UH Energy
initiative- the University’s collective effort to produce a trained
workforce, needed innovations and new technologies for the energy
- The Assistant Director of Media Relations will work closely
with the Chief Energy Officer and various faculty and staff
affiliated with UH Energy.
- Position is responsible for managing and serving as primary
editor of the UH Energy white paper series and blog hosted by
Forbes, which involves editing, research, cultivating engaging blog
topics and occasional writing.
- Assistant Director provides guidance to UH Energy personnel on
UH Energy social media content and strategy, including gathering
relevant media clips featuring UH experts daily, for use on social
- The ideal candidate will have thorough understanding of both
theoretical and practical aspects of the energy industry, including
key issues in the energy transition and relevant policy and
technical aspects of both hydrocarbon and renewable energy
- Knowledge of AP style required; editing experience and job
experience related to the energy industry is preferred.
Bachelors and 5 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical
aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or
the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline.
Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal,
directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or
an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is
directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a
minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.