University of Idaho
Col of Agricultural & Life
$17.32 per hour or higher depending on
Provides support for the University of Idaho's Palouse Research and
Extension Center research activities and farm operations including
but not limited to: maintenance and repair of machinery, small
engines and various other mechanical and electrical equipment,
fleet vehicles, and upkeep of station buildings. Coordinate
equipment maintenance and repair schedule with farm staff to avoid
conflicts of research demand and make sure equipment is ready for
necessary activities. Ensure work is completed in accordance with
all written or verbal work orders, all while maintaining a clean,
safe and well-organized work area. Purchase parts, supplies and
equipment. Assurance of equipment upkeep will be achieved by use of
maintenance logs for both motorized and non-motorized equipment.
Creates a work environment that emphasizes teamwork and
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience using: software programs for record keeping practices;
farm equipment use.
- Experience analyzing and detecting mechanical problems and
implementing new procedures as needed, work and communicate with
- Experience repairing and maintaining diesel systems, hydraulic
systems, electrical systems, brake systems, small engines and
various other mechanical and electronic systems found on farm
equipment, vehicles, and research equipment.
- Experience repairing and maintaining buildings and facilities,
which may include carpentry, and working with heating, cooling,
plumbing, electrical, and structural systems.
- Experience operating gas and arc welding equipment.
- Experience reading and interpreting technical service
- Working with minimal supervision.
- 5+ years as a skilled craftsman.
- Post-secondary education, preferably in a technical and/or
- Post-secondary training and certification as a mechanic and/or
- Experience in: modifying, repairing, and fabricating equipment
used for field, greenhouse, and laboratory research.
- Experience in safety precautions and procedures relating to
mechanical equipment and repair shops; the use, care, and disposal
of hazardous automotive material and waste.
- Experience operating tractors and other agricultural
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Physical condition and stamina sufficient to perform strenuous
work, bend and stoop, and to frequently lift, carry, and/or
otherwise move heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds and
occasionally up to 75 pounds.
Open Until Filled:
This position will remain open until a suitable applicant pool has
Applications received by June 16, 2021, will receive first
In addition to the online application and resume, individuals
should submit a letter of qualification.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your “Letter of Qualification” must
address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent
education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking
during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred
Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be
accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of
Applicants who are selected as final
possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative