Reporting to the Supervisor Project Manager, the Project Manager
will lead execution of multiple assigned capital outlay projects
from conception through completion using a variety of contracting
methods. Projects will range from moderate to advanced difficulty
and complexity. The Project Manager will represent Virginia Tech
during the design/construction process and serve as owner's primary
contact, manage and coordinate the project team
(Architects/Engineers, consultants, contractors, stakeholders,
etc.), and provide support to Senior Managers to achieve successful
project outcomes. The Project Manager will ensure that the design
and construction maximizes university program goals, while
conforming to the project's established criteria for scope, cost,
schedule and quality. This position will manage assigned projects
and coordinates the involvement of all participants in the design,
value engineering, document review, construction, occupancy, close
out, warranty, and financial management processes.
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in
Architecture, Engineering, or Building Construction; OR training
and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced
- Working knowledge of site/building design and construction
processes including LEED requirements.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in managing new construction
and major renovation projects of high complexity from concept
- Excellent communications, team building, organizational
negotiation, project management, and records management
- Ability to create and manage a team to meet project goals.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Ability to interpret design/construction documents and
effectively administer contracts.
- Ability to read/interpret construction schedules.
- Knowledge of building codes and construction means and
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Registered Professional Engineer or Architect in the Commonwealth
- Experience in public procurement and administrative
- Higher education facilities experience.
- Experience with project management software including AutoDesk
products, SharePoint and MS Ofn¼üce.
Commensurate with experience
August 31, 2021
(Posting will remain active until the position is filled;
preference will be given to submissions received prior to review
- Work is performed both in office setting and also at construction
- Must be able to travel to construction sites and traverse uneven
- Must be able to move and handle up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, reach, bend, climb,
push/pull and perform repetitive motion primarily through use of
- Must have a driver's license check
- Must have an acceptable and safe driving record
- Work hours are normally M-F; 8 a.m - 5 p.m., however additional
hours or modified schedule may be required to meet the needs of the
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- As situation dictates, must wear appropriate Personal Protective
- This position meets the criteria for issuance of a mobile
communication device (such as radio, cellphone, Ipad, Ipod, pager,
- Devices issued are the responsibility of the employee and are to
be returned in satisfactory condition upon separation of
employment. - - Devices are to be used according to supervisor
instruction and according to relevant policies.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com
during regular business
hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
August 17, 2021