Phillips Exeter Academy is seeking an Investment Associate to join
the four person Investment Office overseeing Exeter’s $1.5 billion
endowment. The Investment Associate role is a generalist role and
will have broad exposure across public and private equity, hedge
funds, and real assets.
- Work closely with the Director and other team members on new
investment research and diligence.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research to analyze the
market opportunity, strategy, and track record of a prospective
- Assess the manager’s investment process, key employees, and
- Participate in diligence calls and meetings and write meeting
- Draft investment memos in collaboration with other team
- Help maintain manager pipeline, market maps, and capital
- Portfolio monitoring and reporting
- Track and analyze performance, key return drivers, and
exposures at the manager and portfolio level.
- Monitor and help to periodically re-underwrite existing
- In collaboration with other team members, draft written
recommendations for additions or redemptions from existing
- Periodically produce written portfolio updates for the
- In collaboration with the Director and other team members,
produce analyses to support asset allocation decisions, private
investment commitment pacing, and other periodic research
- Supports Investment Committee material preparation,
coordinating with other team members and Exeter’s investment
- Collaborate with the Director, operations colleagues, and
outside legal and tax/accounting professionals as necessary to
evaluate fund terms and any amendments.
- Strong academic credentials, and MBA or CFA (or progress
toward) a plus.
Skills & Knowledge
- 2 – 6 or more years of relevant experience.
- Advanced understanding of investment concepts.
- Self-starter with the ability to work individually and as part
of a small team.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Interest in working across a wide-range of asset classes and
strategies. High degree of professionalism and judgment, with
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and communication skills,
including the ability to perform accurate investment analyses and
write clear investment memos.
- Ability to take ownership and work independently, handling
multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and
leverage effective relationships with external contacts.
- Ability and willingness to travel, sometimes on short
- Discretion and ability to adhere to confidentiality policies is
- Excellent Excel, PowerPoint, and Word skills, and ability to
learn additional applications as needed.
- A sense of humility and the ability to reflect and learn from
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including