Under minimal direction, provide support to clients for relevant
hardware and software. Function as a support resource and assist
other support staff, providing ongoing guidance to the clients and
support team. Troubleshoot, solve complex technical issues and
recommend service improvements. related to the designated
environment. Document solutions and work to provide excellent
service and initiatives. This includes ensuring the team is working
effectively, that all members are accountable to the team,
mentoring staff at subordinate levels, and optimizing departmental
Note: These positions will provide support for a variety of
technology-enabled spaces at Miami University. We are looking for
candidates with computer support skills but specifically,
audiovisual support skills.
Provide Tier III technical support to clients remotely or in the
field by identifying, tracking, troubleshooting and resolving
requests. Work on complex issues proactively identify potential
areas that may cause future problems. Recommend and assess impact
of customer service improvements.
• Troubleshoot II and III technology issues including software,
hardware, audiovisual, and networking issues.
• Emergency "on-call" rotation
• Escalate complex problems that cannot be resolved within the TSS
team, and work with other non TSS Tier II & Tier III staff in
the organization to assure resolution. Train subordinate staff on
balancing excellent customer service with efficient
• Assist with managing workload of student staff to provide the
adequate level of support to meet the desired service level
• Document solutions and work to provide excellent service and
initiatives in the Knowledge Center Support Repository.
• Organize and develop training, consulting, resources, support,
and troubleshooting for clients, to include network software,
application software, workgroup utilities and audio-visual
• Actively seek and build positive relationships and serve as a
liaison between areas within IT Services to coordinate technology
projects requiring communication, sharing of information, and
cooperation across many areas of expertise.
• Provide and/or share technical knowledge with other support staff
in the resolution of problems/requests related to the designated
system. Identify major incidents, outages and security incidents
when they are happening. Develop and document resolutions or
workarounds for incidents that lack documentation resolution.
• Mentor others in evaluation of new computer hardware, software
and audio-visual equipment for use at the University, leading teams
and synthesizing recommendations.
• Mentor staff, in actively promoting a customer-oriented
environment in which the client is treated professionally and
courteously. Actively promote a customer-oriented approach
throughout IT Services.
• Mentor staff on how to exhibit strong customer service skills
including the ability to constructively, diplomatically, patiently,
and successfully handle customer complaints, problems, questions,
conflict, and suggestions.
• Participate in cross-functional projects. Identify roadblocks and
report them to the team leadership.
• Mentor staff on how to identify symptoms and break problems into
distinct and manageable parts; analyze and interpret root causes
associated with a given problem; look at problems from other
perspectives; seek other resources/expertise to define solutions;
assist in solving intra-team problems.
• Write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication
settings and styles; get messages across that instigate appropriate
• Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
including the ability to communicate technical information to a
variety of audiences including end users and clients.
• Learn quickly and independently; seek opportunities to extend and
deepen learning and effectively integrates new information and
skills to enhance personal performance.
• Show initiative to make basic decisions in daily work where risk
is low, saving manager time; gather inputs and come to
practical/sensible solutions; identify and escalates more
significant decision point appropriately.
• Accurately restate the opinions and needs of others; demonstrate
patience and active listening.
• Apply principles and processes of service levels to work;
identify/highlight service problems; seek to improve quality of
• Participate in professional development activities.
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
Require Associates degree earned by date of hire and 4+ years of
relevant experience. OR require 7 years of relevant experience.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer,
encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans
and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits
harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40
years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression,
genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry),
pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster
parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its
application and admission processes, educational programs and
activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests
for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to
employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and
safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to
read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report
which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics,
and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to
prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and
alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This
report also contains information on programs and policies designed
to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating
violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this
website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students.
Written notification is also provided to prospective students and
employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety
Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department
at (513) 529-2223.