The Student Accounts/Collections Coordinator is
responsible for the University’s past due accounts receivable and
internal recovery efforts for all student accounts. Handles
inquiries in reference to past due balances, send follow-up
inquiries, negotiate in-house payment plans and act as the liaison
with outside collection agencies. The successful candidate will
focus on achieving revenue recovery goals while delivering
excellent customer service to ensure student satisfaction and
Duties/responsibilities include the following,
but are not limited to:
- Maintains the workflow and documentation of student accounts in
the collection process.
- Generates and reviews an aging balance report and the
collection subsidiary ledger to identify accounts of concern.
- Sends notices of past due balances to students no longer
- Contact current students with balances after consulting with
Student Administrative Services.
- Follows up to resolve delinquent account questions and
- Establish payment plans and ensure accounts are current each
- Handle phone calls relating to past due accounts.
- Recommend and prepare delinquent accounts for assignments to
collection agencies and manage student account write-offs.
- Place and remove appropriate holds on student accounts.
- Maintain student bankruptcy correspondences.
- Update collection placements for tuition balances between third
- Refer student inquiries regarding loan deferments,
postponements, cancellations and hardship forms to the University’s
third party servicer.
- Report and track loan information (Perkins, Nursing and Schell)
- Coordinate exit interviews for honor loan recipients in
accordance with grant requirements.
- Review collection agency invoices for accuracy.
- Analyze the reserve for bad debts, write-off history,
receivable balance and assist in determining an adequate allowance
for year-end reporting.
- Process manual billing charges/credits and adjustments (i.e.,
bookstore vouchers, childcare, wellness center, drop/add
adjustments, deposit refunds, fines, etc.)
- Set up billing and financial aid postings and update journal
- Post Tuition Management Services (TMS) payment plan files on a
- Reconcile bookstore subsidiary account.
- Assist in year-end audits.
- Serve as backup Cashier and other Fiscal Operations staff as
- Maintain a detailed procedure guide for the duties of this
- University committee assignments as appropriate.
- Maintain a consistent full-time schedule with coverage of 40
hours per week.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work
requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services
of the division, and helping others accomplish related job results
Controller, Fiscal Operations staff,
Student Account Services, outside collection agencies and third
party services, other members of the University community.
Occasional supervision of student
Works under general supervision
where standard practice enables the employee to proceed
independently on routine work referring questionable situations to
Associates degree; Bachelor’s degree
preferred or combination of education and relevant experience in a
Three – five years’ related collection and
student account experience, preferably higher ed.
Commitment towards diversity, equity, and inclusion
Excellent technical skills in
Microsoft applications particularly Word and advanced Excel with a
demonstrated ability to execute tasks such as mail merges, and
Other qualifications considered may include:
- Knowledge of accounts receivable management, delinquency
management, and bad debt recovery processes.
- Collections experience and general accounting knowledge
- Experience maintaining confidential records and information in
a secure manner.
- Knowledge of credit and collection principles, processes,
regulations, and standards.
- Accounting knowledge used to reconcile accounts and prepare
- Excellent written skills demonstrating the ability to document
processes and procedures.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple
tasks with varied deadlines.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with minimal
- Exhibit a 'customer first' orientation in providing exceptional
service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating
versatility in handling people and situations.
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities,
responsibilities, and department needs and expectations; anticipate
and identify customers’ needs
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, appreciate, serve and
communicate effectively with culturally diverse populations.
- Communicate, cooperate and collaborate well with others to
achieve common office, division or University goals
- Willingly assists in various responsibilities as appropriate
within the Business and Finance division as required during high
service demand times.
- Willingness to work flexible and extended schedule including
weekends and evenings if needed.
Attention to Detail:
- Maintain composure and professionalism during difficult
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive and respectful
rapport and working relationship with students, faculty and staff
co-workers, and various campus and community constituencies
maintaining an appropriate level of professionalism.
- Ability to function well under pressure and maintain a pleasant
customer service attitude.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a
sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity.
- Demonstrate strong verbal, written and electronic (email and
internet) communication skills.
- Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work
to detect errors, oversights or omissions. Ensure the accuracy of
information provided to others.
- Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming
initiative for creative problem solving
- Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
Work Environment, Physical Demands:
- Must possess an aptitude for technological development and its
implications and uses for office functions.
- Standing or sitting in one position for long periods; computer
data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service
interruptions; high level customer contact; strict confidentiality;
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact
information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
Please click here to review the University's
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer