Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville
actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their
fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an
integral part of the University’s learning community and teach
courses on campus.
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an
academically qualified adjunct faculty member to teach on-ground
introductory physics lectures or laboratories.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the
University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential lesson plans and assignments. Develop course
Use learning outcomes and syllabus outlines that are
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes,
teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively
deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world
applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class
assignments, group work, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough
manner (with 24-48 hrs).
• Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Relevant Master’s degree.
• Commitment to undergraduate introductory physics
• Undergraduate teaching experience preferred.
• PhD in relevant field.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Department is using this position announcement to build a
qualified pool of instructors to fill teaching needs as they arise.
This position is not designated for a specific course or
Graduate transcripts are required to complete the application.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: July 30, 2021