Concordia University Chicago (CUC) invites applications for
full-time, exempt position of Visiting Assistant Professor of
Social Work, beginning in August 2021 or mutually agreed upon date.
The undergraduate social work program at Concordia University
Chicago is seeking candidates with a demonstrated interest in
social work education and professional development. Candidates must
be willing to teach a wide range of generalist practice courses as
well as develop the curriculum and material for CSWE accreditation.
Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to professional social
work through a focus on high quality teaching, community service
and scholarly activity. The faculty member is expected to share in
program activities, including student advising, curriculum
assessment, and student recruitment/admissions. Candidates must be
committed to the mission
and identity of Concordia University Chicago.
Additionally, they must profess values congruent with the teachings
of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS). This position reports
to the program Chair and is located in River Forest, IL.
- Exhibits a service mentality toward all stakeholders
- All communication with stakeholders is effective, professional,
accurate, and timely
- Superior verbal, written, and interpersonal communication
- Improves work performance and that of others by being receptive
to and appropriately sharing information
Minimum Experience Required:
- Prior teaching experience at the college/university level
- Familiarity with the CSWE accreditation process are
- MSW from a CSWE accredited program, plus five years
post-masters practice experience required; completed doctorate in
social work preferred (ABD considered)
- Undergraduate certification or colloquy completion as a
professional church worker in the LCMS is preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range and faculty rank is dependent upon individual
qualifications and experience. Concordia University Chicago benefit
options include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Health Savings Account
- Disability and Survivor Plan
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement 403(b) Savings Plan
- Basic Life and Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage
- Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- Tuition benefits (available for employees and their qualified
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until
the position is filled. Interested individuals should include the
following in their online application:
- Cover letter
- A response to the following:
- In a brief essay (less than 500 words), explain your
understanding of the relationship among your discipline, the
Christian faith, and Concordia University Chicago's mission.
- In a brief essay (less than 500 words), explain how your
professional and personal experiences have prepared you to live out
the vocation of faculty member at a Lutheran university.
*In your responses, please address Concordia
University Chicago's mission, vision, and
- Copies of post-secondary academic transcripts that reflect
completion of advanced degree(s) (Official transcripts will be
required upon hiring of successful candidates.)
- Names and phone numbers of three references
* Only applicants submitting all required documentation above
will be considered.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals
on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability,
sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri
Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia
University reserves the right to give preference in employment
based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for
employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or
support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian
university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College
of Theology, Arts & Humanities, College of Business, College of
Education, and College of Health, Science & Technology,
Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small
classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and
student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully
accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central
Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of
Distinction since 2010, and is consistently ranked among the Best
Regional Universities - Midwest by U.S. News & World Report.
For more than a decade, combined undergraduate and graduate
enrollment has exceeded 5,000 students. Concordia University
Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown
Chicago. Learn more about our commitment to higher education,
rooted in the Gospel, at CUChicago.edu.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as
revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago
promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional
programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and
excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional
teachings of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, as it forms
students for vocations in church, family, and the