The Associate Dean of Students and Director will provide
leadership, oversight, and direction to the Dean of Students
Office. The Associate Dean and Director is responsible for
supervising the team within the Dean of Students Office, which
includes: (5) Assistant Deans; (2) Coordinators; a Graduate
Assistant; and an Administrative Assistant. The primary functions
of the Dean of Students Office are: Advocacy; Academic Engagement;
Student Engagement; Interfaith Leadership; First-Generation
Programs; and Off-Campus Life.
The Dean of Students Office is committed to offering care and
support to students to assist them in flourishing personally,
academically, and socially. Guided by a strategic framework that
engages, educates, equips, and empowers students, the Dean’s team
stands ready to support all students and community members at
Virginia Tech. The Dean’s team is comprised of passionate and
student-centered professionals, who working closely with the seven
undergraduate colleges and administrative offices throughout
The Dean’s team employs a focused pursuit of care to assist
students through: advocacy and support; academic engagement;
interfaith leadership; campus engagement; and off-campus life.
Members of the Dean’s team embrace a strengths-oriented paradigm,
and believe that they can shape, respond to, and advocate for a
dynamic, inclusive, and learning-centered Virginia Tech
The Associate Dean and Director will report to the Dean of Students
and serve as part of the leadership team for the Offices of the
Dean of Students area, which includes: the Dean of Students Office;
New Student and Family Programs; and Services for Students with
The Associate Dean of Students and Director
- Provide strategic direction, supervision, and leadership to the
Dean of Students Office and its team, which includes: (5) Assistant
Deans; (2) Coordinators; a Graduate Assistant; and an
- Manage the financial resources to support the day-to-day
functions of the office, to include the Student Emergency
- Assess and evaluate the effectiveness of interventions and
programming that advance the Dean of Students Office mission.
- Ensure that efforts for care and support reflect a holistic and
relationship-rich student-centered approach.
- Provide leadership to programming and initiatives related to:
First Generation Student Success; Interfaith Leadership; and
- Partner with fellow members of the Student Affairs Leadership
Team to advance the dynamic needs of the Virginia Tech student
- Develop and sustain a collegial relationship with colleagues in
academic affairs, to include: academic deans; faculty; and academic
advisors for the sake of student success efforts and
- Oversee the direction of Care Team and the Bias Intervention
and Response Team.
- Coordinate the on-call duty rotation for the Dean’s team.
- Develop and sustain a proactive and responsive relationship
with the Town of Blacksburg.
- Attend and participate in Town-Gown committee meetings.
- Serve as a leader within the Offices of the Dean of Students
area and principal deputy to the Dean of Students.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following
experiences and capacities:
• A passion for relationship-rich and student-centered
• Commitment to inclusive and diverse practices that recognize
intersectionality and multiple identities.
• Advising and/or advocacy for students in a higher education
• Facilitation of programming for students in a higher education
• Managing confidential and sensitive information with high levels
• Enthusiasm for a team-oriented philosophy when advancing
strategic goals of an organization.
• High degree of curiosity and generosity when seeking and
• Comfortable with change and energized by creating innovative
resources/programs for students.
• Collaborative spirit when working with students, faculty, staff,
families, and community members.
• Master’s degree and/or terminal degree in counseling, student
affairs, higher education or field related to the responsibilities
of the position.
• 7-10 years of professional and progressive related
About Student Affairs:
Student Affairs’ Aspirations for Student Learning
serve as a framework for our roles as educators as we work
alongside students to encapsulate their learning into a
strengths-based discovery of their talent so they may:
commit to unwavering curiosity
self-understanding and integrity
; prepare for a life of courageous
; and ultimately , embrace
Ut Prosim as a way of life
. We operationalize
these aspirations through ExperienceVT
whereby we work alongside undergraduate, graduate and professional
students to create a customized plan for their experience designed
to accomplish their individual goals. We measure our success by the
success of our students. To that end, we will do whatever it takes
to support the individual well-being and success of every student
at Virginia Tech
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Byron Hughes
during regular business hours at least 10
business days prior to the event.
July 29, 2021