Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
Official TSU Title
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR – HSCS (Family and Consumer Sciences/Child
and Family Development)
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
The adjunct instructor for Human Services and Consumer Sciences (
HSCS ) reports to the HSCS Department Chair, the College of Liberal
Arts and Behavioral Sciences Associate Dean and Dean, and is
responsible for supporting and advancing the mission and goals of
the university and the college/school in all academic, scholarly
and student support activities. The adjunct instructor typically
teaches 3-6 semester credit hours of assigned courses in Child and
Family Development or Family and Consumer Sciences Concentrations,
develops curriculum and course content, advises students on course
requirements and participates in college/school activities for the
advancement of organizational goals and student success.
Essential Duties Summary
- Supports and advances the mission and goals of the university
and the college/school in all academic and scholarly
- May develop curriculum and course content. May also select text
books for inclusion in curriculum content.
- Teaches courses in various mediums (traditional, on-line,
blended) as assigned to college level students. May cover other
classes for instructors who are absent.
- Establishes and holds office hours for students to receive
counseling and advice on class requirements.
- Participates in college/school activities requiring faculty
- May serve on college/school/ and university committees as
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Commensurate with experience
Requires at least 18 graduate-level hours in Human Services and
Consumer Sciences, Human Sciences, Human Ecology or related field.
A Master’s degree or higher degree in Human Services and Consumer
Sciences, Family and Consumer Sciences, Child Development, Family
Development or related fields from an accredited college or
university is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
- Online platforms utilized to support teaching of specialized
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Command of technical and functional procedures, processes and
subject matter in a job family or professional discipline to handle
most situations and lead and/or review the work of others in
multiple job classifications performing diverse
- Strong time management.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Prepare detailed reports
- Submit attendance and grade reports by stated deadlines.
- Make sound independent decisions within the context of the
departmental, community, and university environments.
- Work independently.
Prolonged standing and/or walking.
Handling light weight objects.
Using or carrying equipment.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least 18 graduate-level hours in Human
Services and Consumer Sciences, Human Sciences, Human Ecology or
related field? A Master’s degree or higher degree in Human Services
and Consumer Sciences, Family and Consumer Sciences, Child
Development, Family Development or related fields from an
accredited college or university is preferred.
- 18 graduate-level hours in Human Services and Consumer
Sciences, Human Sciences, Human Ecology or related field
- A Master’s degree or higher degree in Human Services and
Consumer Sciences, Family and Consumer Sciences, Child Development,
Family Development or related fields from an accredited college or
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3