Careers At Sidwell Friends School
Welcome to the Human Resources Department at Sidwell Friends
School. Sidwell Friends prides itself in offering a high quality
educational experience to those who will lead the next generation.
To that end, we are seeking qualified individuals with the
knowledge, skills and abilities to enhance the student experience
at Sidwell Friends. We encourage you to review the job postings
below and to contact us for additional information.
Senior Director of Engagement (SDE)
Office of School Advancement
Position Start Date:
REPORTS TO: Assistant Head of School for Advancement
The Senior Director of Engagement (SDE) is a strategic leader on
the Advancement team and is responsible for planning, implementing,
and managing the comprehensive and effective engagement program for
donors, alumni, and friends of the School. Reporting to the
Assistant Head of School for Advancement, this position builds
strong and sustained relationships with constituent groups and key
stakeholders, engaging them in meaningful ways in the life of the
School. The SDE works collaboratively to advance the goals of the
department and is responsible for the leadership and management of
a team of five in effective conceptualization and implementation of
engagement programs. The SDE has a demonstrated track record of
strategic planning, collaboration, innovation, and creativity, and
is well versed in current relationship-driven engagement strategies
Leadership and Management
Engagement and Stewardship
- Serve as a member of School Advancement Leadership Team that
helps guide the strategy, culture, and goals of the
- Elevate and integrate the Schools efforts to build a strong
philanthropic culture and vision across all constituent and donor
- Thoughtfully lead and efficiently and effectively collaborate
with the Director of Alumni Engagement, Assistant Director of
Alumni Engagement, Director of Donor Engagement, Assistant Director
of Donor Engagement, and Engagement Coordinator
- Plan, develop, and implement a robust and creative engagement
program that provides meaningful experiences and deepens
connections to the School
- Develop and sustain productive cross-functional relationships
(individual giving, development operations/analytics, and
communications/brand marketing) to advance comprehensive engagement
- Serve as a key partner to the Assistant Head of School for
Advancement on all engagement activity, identifying opportunities
and troubleshooting challenges
- Strategically lead and actively collaborate with the Engagement
team and align its initiatives with the comprehensive campaign
- Define, plan, and implement strategy to support and advance the
goals of the Schools alumni and donor engagement and stewardship
- Set ambitious growth goals and develop and execute strategy to
- Create and implement high-level engagement opportunities that
articulate the Schools priorities and objectives
- Utilize data and metrics to benchmark efforts, inform strategic
and tactical decision-making, and identify prime engagement
- Establish, track and report on engagement plans; manage budgets
and proactively forecast shifts in expense expectations
- Manage a dynamic stewardship portfolio of 50 principal and
major gift donors, providing personalized, impactful stewardship
plans that ensure thoughtful engagement opportunities and
high-level touch points
- Support leadership and advancement staff on campaign strategy
A Bachelors degree is required with five to seven years of
management experience in donor relations, stewardship or alumni
engagement, preferably in a higher-education or independent school
setting. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker who
has an understanding of sustained relationship management,
fundraising, stewardship, and engagement programming.
Professionalism, discretion, creativity, and the ability to deal
with confidential information are vital in this role.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to develop strategy, provide direction and
mentorship, and lead implementation of short and long-term
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, be proactive,
take initiative, resolve problems, follow through, and
simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met
in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience in sustained relationship management
and stewardship of charitable gifts.
- Ability to create engagement programming for varied
- Knowledge of fundraising principals and best practices in
- Skill in project and event management, both in-person and
- Strong writing and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational ability and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work
cooperatively and collaboratively colleagues.
- Ability to self-motivate, work well with others and influence
staff of all levels of seniority.
- Ability to inspire and lead a team of professionals.
- Ability to represent the School with internal and external
constituents in the community by attending events and social
gatherings as needed.
As a condition of employment, all employees hired after August
1, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and able
to provide proof of such vaccination. To make application for a
medical or religious exemption, please contact the Human Resources
- Masters degree in a business-related field.
- Experience using The Raisers Edge NXT in a non-profit
Candidates should upload a resume, cover letter, and contact
information for three professional references via our online