Working closely with the Data Center manager, the Data Center
supports the campus data centers across
campus. This person will provide operational support, maintenance,
and capacity planning of the critical data center infrastructure
(Chillers, CRACs/CRAHs, UPS, Generators, and Security Hardware)
within the data center spaces. This individual will also assist in
customer-facing operations (provisioning of rack space, customer
deployments, adds/cancels, and customer communication) when
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) will be valued by campus
as a strategic, inclusive and innovative partner in advancing
learning and discovery in order to enable CU Boulder to be a
premier public university.
OIT enables campus priorities by providing high-value IT services
- Trust, as a foundation for how we engage with one another and
with campus partners, along with
- Avid curiosity in how to better support the campus and our
- Fostering empowerment and authentic engagement amongst
- Celebrating inclusivity that promotes a sense of belonging
while acknowledging that each person is unique and valued.
OIT will advance learning and discovery by delivering high-value
reliable IT services and solutions that:
- Provide a fluid and adaptable academic and student
- Enable research competitiveness and
- Deliver core infrastructure and enterprise IT services for
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and
inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from
candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities, and desire to
contribute to an inclusive campus environment, will help us achieve
our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Data Center Service Operations:
Data Center Colocation Service Operations:
- Assist the Data Center Manager to operate and maintain OIT’s
critical facilities as it relates to campus data centers. Duties
include the general oversight of the data center critical
infrastructure (Chillers, CRACs/CRAHs, UPS, Generators, and
security hardware) as it relates to preventative maintenance,
operational support, and monitoring of said equipment.
- Responsible for scheduling and identifying maintenance issues
and/or overseeing maintenance activities performed by contractors
or facilities management.
- Provide oversight for contractors to ensure that project
objectives are being achieved and respond to issues as they arise.
Position is responsible for ensuring that all contractors
understand the protocols/procedures for working in a live data
center and ensure compliance.
- Respond to failures of electrical and mechanical systems,
building automation/controls, data communication links, security
systems, and the integrity of the building structure. This position
uses skilled, independent judgement in determining the source of
infrastructure failures, if the problem can be readily resolved,
and which resources, including outside contractors, need to be
- This position will also rotate on a weekly based on-call
Capacity and Strategic Planning:
- Responsible for assisting in service transition and service
operation in the supported data centers.
- Assist in the completion of remote-hands requests during normal
business hours and also off-hours in the event a request is
scheduled in advance. Duties can include installing and/or
maintaining equipment cabinets, power distribution units (PDUs),
environmental sensors, cabling and racking of customer
Process Documentation and Improvement:
- Assist the Data Center Manager in the development of the campus
data center strategic plan. This includes operational budget
forecasting, defining real estate requirements, capacity and
disaster recovery planning.
- Assist in the continued development of the data center
monitoring platform to generate data to support business decisions
as it relates to the data center critical infrastructure. This role
will also generate data and reports in support of defining airflow
management, space allocation, and electrical capacity needs.
- Using ITIL principles, work with service managers to document
service definitions, create business continuity/disaster recovery
plans, create facility-based SOPs, update website documentation,
and establish performance metrics to drive continuous improvement.
This role will also have responsibility in generating emergency
procedures as it relates to critical infrastructure
What You Should Know
- Assist in maintaining and supporting accurate inventory of
equipment and materials at the campus data centers and the OIT
warehouse. Conduct annual/quarterly/monthly cycle counts as needed
to ensure quantities meet operational needs.
What We Can Offer
- The job duties for this position will require the ability to
distinguish between colors (white, red, blue, and green) and
lifting, both of which can be performed with assistive
- Annual salary range for this position is $80,000 to
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be Collaborative. Be Groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution. A combination
of education and/or relevant experience as described below may be
substituted for a degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Three years of experience working in a data center environment
supporting critical infrastructure as follows:
- Mechanical hardware (pumps, cooling towers, chillers,
- Electrical hardware (electrical panels/circuits, PDUs, transfer
switches, UPS systems, generators).
What We Would Like You To Have
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Proven ability to track and manage multiple tasks at the same
- Highly organized and detail-oriented approach to all work tasks
- Ability to work both as a team and independently as
- Experience with basic fabrication and repairs in areas of
plumbing, carpentry, painting, plastering, machine services, and
- Datacom cabling certifications (copper & fiber).
- Experience with network and fiber testers (Fluke/Viaavi).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 20, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: