The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
(CIRES) at CU Boulder encourages applications for a Research
Associate Senior Consultant within NOAA’s Chemical Sciences
Laboratory (CSL) in Boulder, Colorado. The successful candidate
will work in the Directorate area of CSL, along with federal and
university employees engaged in cutting edge atmospheric
CSL has a collaborative lab culture, and we are looking for a
candidate who actively subscribes to this philosophy. Successful
candidates will demonstrate competency and sensitivity in working
in a diverse community.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental
Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand
the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the
planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of
Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and
climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric
chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is
to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by
advancing the scientific and societal understanding of the Earth
The mission of the NOAA Chemical Sciences Laboratory (CSL) is to
advance scientific understanding of the chemical and physical
processes that affect Earth’s atmospheric composition. CSL’s vision
is a nation that has the needed scientific understanding and
information about atmospheric composition to make optimal decisions
for the well-being of current and future generations. https://csl.noaa.gov/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Serve as a senior consultant to the CSL Director’s Office on the
- Research planning and coordination
- Facilities Management
- Agreements pertaining to field work and other research
- Technology transfer and intellectual property
- Safety requirements
- Property management
- Other areas as specified
These duties do not require a full-time employee, but selected
employee must have flexible work hours since work load will vary.
Some travel is anticipated.
What You Should Know
What We Can Offer
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of
Colorado Boulder but will be physically situated in the David
Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305.
- If you are the selected finalist, you will be required to pass
a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
- Boulder is a vibrant community with access to mountain parks,
dog parks, miles of trails, rivers, lakes, cafes, restaurants,
boutiques, theaters, museums, and sports venues. Boulder was
recently ranked as the top place to live in the U.S by U.S News.
- Boulder is located just 20 miles from Denver, which is a large,
diverse city ranked #2 in the Best Places to Live in the U.S by U.S
- As an employee at CU Boulder, the ECO Pass benefit mentioned
below allows you to have free access to the public transit system,
which is a phenomenal network of buses and light rails that connect
Boulder, Denver, the Denver airport, and surrounding
- This position will be filled at the Senior Research Scientist
career track level.
- The salary range for this hourly, on-call position is $75-$85
- No relocation assistance is available for this position.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be Adaptable. Be Successful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- PhD in Chemistry, or a closely related field.
- Organization and management of a Federal research
- Federal regulations related to accountable, sensitive, and real
- OSHA, Colorado state, and local regulations related to chemical
- Federal requirements and procedures for executing
- Planning and effective execution of field research
- Ideally, the selected employee will have familiarity with
research currently conducted by CSL, although this is not a
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 professional references who
may be contacted on your behalf. If you are identified as a
finalist for this role, the search committee will request one
letter of recommendation for your application file at a later
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version as an optional
Please apply by 8/2/21 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Posting Contact Email: